PDA

View Full Version : transfering demo reel from pc to vhs

sequestrian
03-04-2003, 03:12 PM
has anyone ever transfered a demo reel or any other video to a digital video camera? I'm trying to get mine onto vhs and only way I can think of is to transfer it to my sony dv camera via firewire and then connect that to my vcr.... I do have a Nvidia Quadro 4 XGL (I think either a 700 or 750, not sure, I got it from a contest without anything else)... is there any way I could use that to transfer my reel to vhs? need help asap!

Terrance
03-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I am not familiar with that card. Is that a dual head card? If so, just use a VGA to RCA cable adapter to connect the second VGA output to your RCA VCR input. I assume you are using a PC... Then go into the monitor settings and turn on the other connection if it is not detected it automatically.http://www.connectworld.net/sconnect/images/prods/1.jpg

danhua76
03-04-2003, 05:17 PM
if that card has an s-video port you can use that to hook it up to your vcr. if your vcr doesn't have an s-video in port, you can get an s-video to rca adaptor.

dennis
03-04-2003, 05:30 PM
now what if you had a video card with just the one output that goes to the monitor. how could you get your demo onto vhs?

danhua76
03-04-2003, 05:32 PM
you can buy one of those usb (or firewire) video in/video out thing-a-ma-jiggies (or do-hickies) from ati, pinnacle, and others to do your video transfer to vhs.

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 05:41 PM
on another note, I used pinnacle once for my video project for class and it worked really well ... that is only if all you want is to extract video. Pinnacle's software has a compression algorithm that allows for extremely high compression of analog video without much loss, if at all, of video quality. However, the drawback of this is that if you want to edit the video, you will not be able to do it outside of the Pinnacle Video Suite. After Effects, Premier, and basically everything else we would want to use will not read the Pinnacle compression format, even though it saves files in .mov, .mpg, and some others.

However, this was based on one experience. There might be and probably is a fix or another method of doing what u need to do with Pinnacle's software suite.

dennis
03-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the help danhua76 and Chuck.
What if I did all my editing in Premeire first then put it onto vhs using Pinnacle. That will work, right?

danhua76
03-04-2003, 06:20 PM
if you finished it on premier, i don't see a need to use pinnacle. just play your movie/animation and output it to vhs thru the video out (via graphics card or video in/out device). whatever you see on your monitor should also be the same on the vhs.

dvornik
03-04-2003, 07:07 PM
I think the original plan was way better - you won't drop frames or anything outputting to the dv tape.

[edit] Just "Print to tape" in Premiere.

You don't want to do it on a daily basis cause of the wear and tear of the camera, but it's OK to do it once in a while.

Otherwise you would need better equipement to maintain quality and make sure you HDD sustained speed is fast enough so you don't drop frames and all of that.

dennis
03-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks again for all your help guys. Man, I love this forum!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.