PDA

View Full Version : backburner crossplatform?

chad
03-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Anyone know if combustion on pc and on mac can use the same renderfarm thru backburner? thanks.

GrantKay
03-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi

Combustion has 2 flavours of network rendering:

Backburner 2. This solution is windows 2K only. The usual workflow is that the operators create their combustion workspaces on their PCs and submit them to the manager for rendering. I have heard of instances where workspaces are done on MAc then transfered to PC to be rendered in backburner but its not very popular going from MAC to PC in this manner

The second flavour is the render queue and watch folder system. Whether your workspace comes from MAC or PC, you can set up a watch folder on your network. The machines (MAC & PC) which have the render queue software install "watch" this folder. AS soon as you drop a project in the folder, all the machines wake up and start rendering. This Render Queue allows for Multi-platform rendering (whereas backburner is PC only)

Bear in mind with cross platform rendering ( or just transfering workspaces for that matter ) you need to ensure that you are working with a common format between OS and windows such as TGAs or Tiffs......

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

chad
03-04-2003, 04:16 PM
So you can't prioritize your renders? How do the systems break up the render? Where can I learn more about the "watch" method?

-thanks

GrantKay
03-04-2003, 05:58 PM
The watch folder method is unintelligent.

The way it works is that whatever machine is avaiable will start rendering. When one machine has finished processing a frame it will request another one and so on.

What you are asking for is done by backburner. Job management, machine prioritizing etc.

Like I said, this is only avaiable on Windows.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.