PDA

View Full Version : Simulating glue application

jabbermacy
03-13-2007, 04:36 PM
OK, the boss sez 'hey it'd be cool to simulate applying hot melt adhesive to a part'! I sez, 'yeah, it can be done'! Now, I have foot in mouth disease ;)

The only way I see this working is to build something in particle flow that would apply sticky particles to an object closely together an render as a mesh. I have some ideas where to begin, but if anybody has done anything close to this before it would sure save a lot of experimentation!!

ANY hints would be sincerely appreciated!!

superhypersam
03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
your idea sounds fine

try pwrapper for the meshing , use volume selects driven by pflow driven meshers to adjust size of pwrapper.

ermm thats complex sounding

heres an example

jabbermacy
03-14-2007, 12:24 AM
U rock!! The more I experiment the more capability Pflow seems to have out of the box!! Thanks sincerely for the help! I think I'll post a TUT once I get this mastered...

superhypersam
03-14-2007, 12:36 AM
heh good plan, i keep meaning to do the same, work keeps getting in the way though!

Its a pretty fun method that has a fair amount of control, used it for the rain in Marvel legends, and the urine shot in Gentelmans Dual (Blur).

fun hacking tools together!

cheers

PsychoSilence
03-14-2007, 06:31 AM
nice way of shaping a drop indeed!

people (me included :D ) often diregard the fact that animating values inside of flow operators is always a great option to have :)

i wish flow would support meta shapes inside the shape operator... :(

kind regards

anselm

jabbermacy
03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
i wish flow would support meta shapes inside the shape operator... :(

kind regards

anselm

I hear that!! THAT would really rock - I've had a LOT of sucess with my glue project, but metashapes instead of a billion particles to make a continuous bead would be killer!! Anybody know if GLU could do the job?

mackdadd
03-20-2007, 09:15 PM
do you mean like this?

http://3daliens.com/glu3D/images/contributions/discreet06.avi

jabbermacy
03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
HOLY HELL!! That's brilliant!! Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.