PDA

View Full Version : Extending parts of clips

osxrules
03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
What I want to do is take an input clip and specify an inPoint and outPoint that is smaller than the length of the clip and then extend that small chunk so that it repeats or freezes. Extending a clip only ever seems to work for the entire clip. So let's say I have a clip with 300 frames and I want to take frames 100-105 and use it as a looping sequence, how would I do that?

Byronicman
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
if I understand what you are looking to do try this-

take your FileIn node and in the Source tab change your first frame to 100 and your last frame to 105 (as your suggested time range) then click on the Timing tab and adjust your outpoint to how many frames you want your clip to be in total. Then adjust the inMode and outMode to your choice of freeze or repeat (it defaults to freeze)

b

osxrules
03-15-2007, 03:48 AM
if I understand what you are looking to do try this-

take your FileIn node and in the Source tab change your first frame to 100 and your last frame to 105 (as your suggested time range) then click on the Timing tab and adjust your outpoint to how many frames you want your clip to be in total. Then adjust the inMode and outMode to your choice of freeze or repeat (it defaults to freeze)

b

That's exactly it but the frame settings don't show up for me in the source tab with my movie clips. If I manually put a hash (#) character into the name e.g clip1.mov -> clip1#100-105.mov then they sometimes show up but then I just get a quicktime error.

Does Shake have a preferred set of input formats? I notice that it doesn't even like Quicktime's DV export even though it seems to like the exact same format in an AVI container.

Byronicman
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I didn't realize your footage was a quicktime...working with file sequences in Shake gives you more options to adjust your footage

The best work around for this is to render the .mov out as a .tif file sequence (either from your source ie: final cut or if all you have is the quicktime, render it out from shake then re-import).

Hugh
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
What Byronicman was suggesting would work well with image sequences, but less so with quicktimes.... which annoyingly don't have the start/end frame options....

Try this:

Put a TimeX node straight after your SFileIn node. Set the newTime value to:

(((time-1)%6)+100)

This will give you:

100,101,102,103,104,105,100,101,102,etc....

osxrules
03-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I didn't realize your footage was a quicktime...working with file sequences in Shake gives you more options to adjust your footage

The best work around for this is to render the .mov out as a .tif file sequence (either from your source ie: final cut or if all you have is the quicktime, render it out from shake then re-import).

This is interesting because I see image sequences mentioned a lot in the manual but I thought movie sequences would be better given that you have the audio track there at the same time. I really don't like the idea of using them due to the drive space requirement but is that what people generally use in Shake?

If people use movies, what is the best format? I'm guessing a compression with no inter-frame dependency like DV would be preferred as it is in Final Cut so that scrubbing is quicker.

Normally for 3D content and 2D animation, I use Pixlet uncompressed or animation and for film footage, I use DV straight out of Final Cut.

Put a TimeX node straight after your SFileIn node. Set the newTime value to:

(((time-1)%6)+100)

This will give you:

100,101,102,103,104,105,100,101,102,etc....

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was after. I had a look at the TimeX node once before and I couldn't figure out what to do with it but it makes sense now. I can freeze the clip and everything using the following:

time<100?100:time>105?105:time

It's right there in the manual too, it says about timeX looping frames. This makes things much easier.

I'm still not sure about the way it works though. For example time-10 gives you 10 frames behind the current frame so frame 50 shows frame 40. So to me, 101-time would mean that at frame 1, I would see frame 100 but that doesn't happen. Shake interprets this to mean the clip ends at frame 100.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2007, 12:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.