PDA

View Full Version : 8 lights only in the viewport

geldslaw
03-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Is it truew that you can only have 8 lights in the viewport? It is for me, I don't know if its because of the settings I am using?

jadedchron
03-25-2007, 07:16 AM
It's, of course, not true.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8769/image08zr7.jpg

pd
03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Actually it is true. Every light added beyound the 8th won't affect the lighting in the viewport. It will render fine however.

jadedchron
03-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Actually it is true. Every light added beyound the 8th won't affect the lighting in the viewport. It will render fine however.

Oh, I thought he/she meant displayed in the viewport rather than the light/shadows emitted. Good to know, though.

fvalicenti
03-26-2007, 02:55 PM
if you need to see them you can use redviewer, it`s a plugin that uses the video card to render out in the viewports in "real time". It even supports vray now, i tried al older demo version and was pretty impressed by it.

Bobo
03-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Is it truew that you can only have 8 lights in the viewport? It is for me, I don't know if its because of the settings I am using?

Most graphics cards support only 8 lights in hardware. (Some professional cards support 16 and even 32, but these are expensive).
Software Z Buffer mode in Max supports more than 8 lights, but the quality and speed is of course not comparable to DirectX or OpenGL.

I used to have a script to specify which 8 lights would be active in the viewport.
Don't know if it still works in the latest versions of Max, but it should. See Lights Order here:
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs4/

slebed
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi Bobo,

Your script has been causing me errors in max 9. When I would use it, it would delete objects in my scene. Not sure if it was something about my scene, or if its a max9 issue. When I clicked on the light in the list, a requestor would pop up asking me if I wanted to replace some object in the scene. Its the same requestor you get when you want to replace objects in your scene. When I do continue, the object is deleted along with the light. Very weird, but like I said, it could be user-error.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.