PDA

View Full Version : d'artiste Character Modeling 2 available for pre-order!

DanielWade
03-13-2007, 04:16 AM
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/images/cgtalk_thread_banner.jpg (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/index.php)

Hi all,

Our latest book, d'artiste Character Modeling 2, is now available for pre-order (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/index.php)!

About d'artiste: Character Modeling 2
d'artiste: Character Modeling 2 presents the techniques of leading character modelers Kevin Lanning, Zack Petroc, and Timur “Taron” Baysal. Each master artist showcases his approaches and techniques in modeling characters and creatures for film and game projects through expansive graphic tutorials. Kevin Lanning of Epic Games takes you behind the scenes of creating characters for the triple-platinum Xbox 360 game 'Gears of War' with tutorials on workflows for creating high-polygon and low-polygon characters.

Beyond the remarkable tutorials, we delve into the artist's past experiences to give greater insight into their personal and professional work and also the foundations of their success. An invited artist gallery provides the opportunity for the master artists to single out inspirational artists and commentate on the character work of the greater cg community.

New Book Previewer!

Ballistic Publishing has taken a big jump from thumbnail-sized page previews into an animated, interactive "live book preview" where you can flick through every page of d'artiste Character Modeling 2.

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/images/cm2_previewer.jpg (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/index.php)

Pre-order and pay now to receive four limited edition prints!

Free prints are included with pre-orders of every d’artiste: Character Modeling 2 Limited Edition and the first 300 slipcased editions. Each print is 220 x 297mm and finished to the highest quality on 190gsm stock.

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/menu/images/spacer.gif
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/images/prints.jpg

1.Chris Perna, Kevin Lanning, Ryan Brucks, Aaron Herzog, Jay Hosfelt Berserker UE3 (Gears of War (c) 2006 Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved) 2. Timur "Taron" Baysal Lil' Devil 3. Zack Petroc Z Brush banner 4. Jeff McAteer Birdman

About the artists

Kevin Lanning started creating art at a very early age drawing and sculpting. He received a half-ride scholarship at the Art Institute of Dallas graduating with a Degree in Computer Animation. Thanks to online exposure Kevin received commission work including character art for several commercials. This led to his discovery by Epic Games where he was hired as a full-time artist to create art assets for their next-gen game technology Unreal Engine 3. For the past four years Kevin has been working as a Character and Creature Modeler at Epic Games. His most recent work can be seen in Epic’s blockbuster hit for the Xbox 360, ‘Gears of War’.

Zack Petroc has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Cleveland Institute of Art with a major in Sculpture and dual minor in Drawing and Digital Media. Additionally, he studied anatomy at Case School of Medicine and figure sculpture in Florence, Italy. Zack uses his strong design background as the foundation for both his traditional and digital work. Zack is currently working as a freelance Art Director and Concept Designer for feature film and games. He is also a member of the Art Director’s Guild Technology Committee and author of several training DVDs from The Gnomon Workshop.

Timur "Taron" Baysal started to work with computers at age 14 and taught himself modeling and rendering. He started his VFX career in the U.S. with Station X Studios in 1998. He then worked in several visual effects houses in the roles of animation director, head of R&D, lead animator, 3D animator and character animator among others. His feature film credits include: ‘Syriana’, ‘Reeker’, ‘The Dust Factory’, ‘Gothika’, ‘Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams’, ‘Impostor’, ‘Megiddo: The Omega Code 2’, ‘Dracula 2000’, ‘Battlefield Earth’ and ‘Dogma’. Looking for a change, Timur moved to the realm of developing 3D tools with pmG, creators of the rendering and animation environment messiah:Studio.

d'artiste Character Modeling 2 Limited Edition

Like all of our previous d'artiste titles, Character Modeling 2 is also available in a leather-bound Limited Edition. These editions come with an individually-numbered gold seal certificate of authenticity and are strictly limited to the first 200 customers. The Limited Editions also come with a set of four limited prints featuring the work of the featured artists.

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste/character_modeling_2/images/limited_edition_palette.jpg (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/limited_editions.php?id=73)

Thanks to Kevin, Taron and Zack for helping to create a remarkable character modeling resource. Thanks also to all the artists who entered artwork for d'artiste Character Modeling 2. We hope you enjoy more of the world's best examples of character modeling!

Digg this! (http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/The_secrets_behind_the_artwork_of_Gears_of_War_revealed)

loocas
03-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Wow! Can't wait for this one! :buttrock:

Great news!

NeptuneImaging
03-13-2007, 05:42 AM
OOOH YES...this just got my attention after being sleepy while rendering...I have already preordered....

loocas
03-13-2007, 05:46 AM
...after being sleepy while rendering...

:D you too?!

JBoskma
03-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Seems like one of the better books put out by the fine people at Ballistic. I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy. Congrats to everybody who made it in!

rasmusW
03-13-2007, 07:53 AM
yeah! -looks good. think, i'll try and get a copy aswell.

-r

AndyH
03-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Id buy that for a dollar!

Definately getting it - the preview looks great, what with all that Gears of war WIP stuff.

I didnt make it in the book, so i guess ill have to buy it, but it should be worth it :)

Intervain
03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
OOOh I was waiting for the second part :)

ShortFuseNZ
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
O hell yeah, ordered. Now have to play the impatients game :(

salmonmoose
03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
O hell yeah, ordered. Now have to play the impatients game :(

You can play GoW in the meantime and drool in anticipation - I know I will be.

Heber
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
looks great,
ive placed my order :)

AndyH
03-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, i just went to order, and after getting crashes after clicking on yes and no to the 'this page contains nonsecure items' message, i finally managed to get to the payment bit.

I put my card details in, and noticed that there is no button or other method to proceed and finalise the transaction!

I dont really wanna try again, cos knowing my luck, ill get billed twice!

Ive emailed ballistic about the problem. If anyone else has the same problem, lemme know!

Does look like a great book though. Its so good to get such an in-depth behind the scenes look at one of the most beautiful games around. I cant believe the detail on the Wretches! Once theyre textured, stuck in a dark environment, and blasted to pieces in a microsecond, you cant make out the detail!

EDIT - ballistic support got back to me extremely quickly, and they fixed the problem. Its sorted now.

ChewyPixels
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
SWEET!! :bounce: Already put in my pre-order!

Visor66
03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
This looks so good! Ordered one copy as well!

@AndyH: I had the same problem, was searching for the button too! Really strange. What I did was: clicking in the field with the credit card number and then pressing return! Then it worked. But again, really strange.

Anyway, now I have to wait....Damn!

DarkTure
03-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Gonna buy this. :)

lildragon
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Definite must buy!

Cheers,

~t

padib
03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Id buy that for a dollar!

Definately getting it - the preview looks great, what with all that Gears of war WIP stuff.

I didnt make it in the book, so i guess ill have to buy it, but it should be worth it :)

Andy, I'm also disappointed your work didn't make it into the book.

GatorNic
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Looks awesome! Pre-ordered mine. Love the Free shipping!! :thumbsup:

VonMarsch
03-13-2007, 04:08 PM
WOW! I want this now! :twisted:

snowkiwi
03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Holy Kabuki batman. The interactive pages are awesome. What a beautiful idea . . . fresh thinking. Congrats Ballistic.

PolygonGoon
03-13-2007, 04:32 PM
AWESOME! hey are these tutorials in maya or max?:bounce:

sniperddr1a
03-13-2007, 04:47 PM
looks good! especially the character from Gears of the war!

mummey
03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Arg... I don't even have "1" yet... :sad:

AnimZiggy
03-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, i just went to order, and after getting crashes after clicking on yes and no to the 'this page contains nonsecure items' message, i finally managed to get to the payment bit.

EDIT - ballistic support got back to me extremely quickly, and they fixed the problem. Its sorted now.

andy so u know u can get all the ballistic books from foyles too ;)

Minero3d
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Awesomeee.!!!
i love this game.!!
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif Send to Brazil??????????http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

NeptuneImaging
03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
:D you too?!

Yup, been sitting here rendering parallax maps and when i saw this book, I was ECSTATIC...

J.Gaeta
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm all over this! Thanks to everyone who put this together.

dmonk
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Oh hell yeah!

arizaga
03-13-2007, 10:31 PM
extremly beautyful book and artists content, I'll buy it. :thumbsup:

Kanga
03-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Gimme gimme!
I checked out the preview and have to say its much more than just a bunch o pretty pictures.
Again well done ballistic.
My mouth is watering:scream:.

Cheerio Chris

Mibus
03-14-2007, 12:33 AM

I put my card details in, and noticed that there is no button or other method to proceed and finalise the transaction!

Both of these problems should now be fixed. Thanks to those that helped us narrow the problems down :thumbsup:

3rd-Axis
03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Wow, this looks like the book every modeler should get their hands on. I'm definitely gonna pre-order this baby!

P_T
03-14-2007, 01:15 AM
To the Ballistic people, do you guys know when the book's going to hit Sydney Kinokuniya's shelf?

alanhalsted
03-14-2007, 01:38 AM
To the Ballistic people, do you guys know when the book's going to hit Sydney Kinokuniya's shelf?

Hi David

Kinokuniya are great supporters of our books! CM2 will/should be on the shelves late April. They have a digital art contest on the go at the moment, you should look into it!

Cheers

Alan

SylvanMist
03-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Preordered! D'artiste books are the best series you have going imo.

I wasn't able to look at all the pages in that book preview you have however..it stops a little after Zack Petroc's section. Perhaps a bug?

DanielWade
03-14-2007, 02:04 AM
AWESOME! hey are these tutorials in maya or max?:bounce:

Hi Nforce,

Our approach with the d'artiste series is to present tutorials that will be useful whatever app you're using. For Character Modeling 2, here's what each of the artists used:

Kevin Lanning: 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, Mudbox
Taron: LightWave 3D, ZBrush, Messiah:Studio
Zack: Maya, ZBrush, Mudbox

The message with this edition of Character Modeling for me was "model in whatever you like, but take it into ZBrush or Mudbox to breathe life into it".

alanhalsted
03-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Preordered! D'artiste books are the best series you have going imo.

I wasn't able to look at all the pages in that book preview you have however..it stops a little after Zack Petroc's section. Perhaps a bug?

Hi Roja!!

Great pickup! We have fixed it so you can see Zack's work in all of it's glory!

Thank you!

Alan

PolygonGoon
03-14-2007, 02:19 AM
ok thanks allot! IM JUMPING WITH JOY!!!:bounce::bounce:

HellBoy
03-14-2007, 03:21 AM
definatly looks awesome

but I'm soo broke :D

hhmaya
03-15-2007, 01:43 AM
thats great model!good book
very like it .:thumbsup:

Freewaldo
03-15-2007, 12:00 PM
just a quick question

If you pre-order something when will it arrive ?

alanhalsted
03-16-2007, 02:20 AM
just a quick question

If you pre-order something when will it arrive ?

Hi Freewaldo!

Yep, we're expecting the book to start shipping in May this year, so you'll have it in your hands not long after that! :)

Also, anyone who reserves their standard copy early receives it early! That's fair!

Cheers

Alan

alanhalsted
03-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Just checked. There is only one left with prints!

alanhalsted
03-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

So, all of the regular editions with prints are gone! I am just staggered how quickly they went! And delighted, of course! This just shows the regard out there for this title and these amazing artists!

On a more serious note, the academic community have really sat up and acknowledged this title. And so have the artists and enthusiasts who have seen it. So you can imagine how cool it is for me to be able to work with this book, not to mention the rest of our list!

Thank you for your support!

Cheers

Alan

RasoulValli
03-17-2007, 04:28 PM
how can i buy it in Iran? i have no credit card..

ashrafazlan
03-17-2007, 05:21 PM
similar question, I live in Malaysia..would I encounter any problems having the book delivered here? I'm really interested in purchasing it

DuttyFoot
03-17-2007, 05:30 PM
man, these books are freaking awesome, and i love the fact that you can turn the pages to look and see whats inside. i didnt even order the first one yet. i think i might go ahead and get them both. i know it was stated that the second book ships in may, but if i order the second one now any can you give me an idea when the second book will ship.

WMBrown
03-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Boom! Preordered!

if only for the visuals, it'd be worth it but for the tips and stuff, even better!

too bad i can't justify the cost of the limited edition, that would be sweet to have!

alanhalsted
03-18-2007, 04:31 AM
similar question, I live in Malaysia..would I encounter any problems having the book delivered here? I'm really interested in purchasing it

Hi Ashrafazlan!

Malaysia is very easy for us, you should encounter zero problems having a book delivered there. We do it all the time! Plus keep in mind how many Malaysian artists appear in our books and are members of CGTalk!

Thanks again for your support!

Cheers

Alan

alanhalsted
03-18-2007, 04:43 AM
how can i buy it in Iran? i have no credit card..

Hi RVS

Other than credit card, Paypal is the only other option. At this stage I do not have any resellers in Iran.

Please contact me privately at alan@ballisticmedia.net and maybe we can find another solution!

Cheers

Alan

ashrafazlan
03-18-2007, 05:04 AM
cheers man, pre ordering it now :)

alanhalsted
03-18-2007, 05:31 AM
cheers man, pre ordering it now :)

Excellent! And now have to wait for my own copy, grrrr

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2007, 05:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.