PDA

View Full Version : Would You Recommend Getting PC3200 now?

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 05:24 AM
Does anyone happen to know if there is going to be any new DDR speeds coming out anytime soon? My system is running fine.... but I'm incredibly tempted to get 512MB of PC3200 DDR from Mushkin..... what are your thoughts on that? Btw, my system is running 512MB PC2700 Mushkin @ the moment on a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 Platinum Ed.

Logically speaking, I will hold off for quite a while before getting anymore RAM... but if u guys have any cool deals u've seen, that'd be cool too.

Sieb
03-04-2003, 05:55 AM
There are no earth shattering ram improvements coming soon that I know about, or will worry about. The new thing now is Dual Channel DDR on Nforce2 boards. DDR2 is a ways off but requires different memory controllers (won't be around till Hammers show up). Since your already running a KT400 board, there isn't much to worry about. Faster ram is always a plus, gives they system some room to breath before sending data to the processor. You will be fine (as long as your running a newer Athlon unlike me and my 1.4 Tbird :) ).

elvis
03-04-2003, 06:10 AM
quite frankly unless you are an overclocker the faster ram isn't really worth it.

AMD CPUs run at 133 and 166 FSB (266 and 333 DDR), and neither particularly benefits from ram running faster than the FSB.

Pentium4 chips are in the same boat, running currently at 100 and 133 FSB (400 and 533 "quad pumped" in intel lingo).

ram running at speeds much greater than your FSB won't really benefit you greatly in real-world applications. benchmarks only testing one aspect of your board will tell a different story, but that's not what real software reports.

on the other hand, high quality ram means you can tweak the RAS/CAS settings, which will give you some benefit in day to day use. i certainly would not buy cheap ram just for the ease of mind knowing those few extra dollars will go towards a more stable system.

a good old fashioned overclocker on the other hand will buy the best ram they can get their hands on, and push that FSB through the roof! :) (don't tell greg you're overclocking tho...) :D

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 06:17 AM
hmmmm.... good point... speaking of FSB.... u mentioned 133 and 166??? U can get the FSB to 166???? HOW!?

I'm guessing I can tweak my thing to 166 and then change my CPU ratio to 10.5x..... or is that for the Athlon XP 2800+ and up??

ah screw that, Imma go do that right now. I'll come back when my system is fried. =D

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 06:22 AM
lol, I'm so happy that I have a separate file server/backup workstation..... time to reset the BIOS on my main workstation... again..... ^.^"

oh, and btw, on startup, my thing displays:

Memory Clock: 166MHz (DDR333)

Where does that 166MHz fit? Is that the right reading?

elvis
03-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
hmmmm.... good point... speaking of FSB.... u mentioned 133 and 166??? U can get the FSB to 166???? HOW!?

I'm guessing I can tweak my thing to 166 and then change my CPU ratio to 10.5x..... or is that for the Athlon XP 2800+ and up??

ah screw that, Imma go do that right now. I'll come back when my system is fried. =D

yup, athlon 2600+ and up are all "333MHz FSB" (which is double data rate of 166MHz).

and yes, you can overclock a cpu past it's recommended settings, but my advice is to do it SLOWLY! punching in 166 straight up will just result in your system not booting, and you left scratching your head.

also if you do feel the urge to overclock, whatch your system and CPU tempuratures very closely. if they start to creep up past 60 degrees, you've got problems!

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 08:25 AM
hah, i used to get 60*C underclocked with my old heat sink and fan. =D I love my new Vantec Aeromaster :love:

GregHess
03-04-2003, 03:43 PM
One thing to watch for is the PC3200 2-2-2 DDR from Corsair XMS. If your planning on upgrading in the future (Maybe your current system supports DDR, but your thinking of a new CPU+ Mboard soon), the Corsair series would be AWESOME for Intel's new chipset/cpu's later in May.

800 Front Side Bus and Dual Channel 400 Megahertz DDR (800 equiv).

I'm also a firm believer in getting more then you need when making computer purchases. Better to have room to expand, then to be caught in a tight circle of unupgradbility.

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 06:45 PM
lol, i just barely upgraded to what I have right now a couple months ago! But yeah, after reading up on all your posts about RAM and such, I've been able to increase my bandwidth by about .05%.... hahahah. I'm almost @ 75% efficiency!! I still can't seem to get it anywhere near the 2700MB/s bandwidth. Any ideas? I've set everything to 5-2-2-2, clock @ 166MHz. FSB@133x2. Voltage settings are default.

GregHess
03-04-2003, 08:42 PM
The bandwidth listed for PC2700 is THEORETCIAL MAXIMUMS.

Just because it states 2.7 gigs/sec, doesn't mean you'll ever actually reach that score wise.

elvis
03-04-2003, 10:39 PM
bingo. "PC2700" is based on 333MHz (or 333 million instructions per second) pushing 8bytes (1 word in programming talk) per instruction. that assumes that the ram is ready at every opportunity (ie: that there is no CAS and RAS delay) and that data is ready at every opportunity to populate the ram, both of which will never happen in the real world.

anything over 85% efficiency is considered quite good in a system. some tweakers can get their machines right up to 90 to 95% efficiency, which is bloody terrific, but damn hard to do and keep stable.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.