PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox having problems handling subd levels(Please Help!)

MikeNash
03-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey guys,

I've been having problem with my character head handling over 500k with 4 levels,
It starts to run slow.
But with older scene i have its running with level 4 just fine. Seems like difference between two scenes i cant workout.

I then did another test and subd it to 1.2 million and exported it at that level and imported it back into mudbox and i can work on it just fine.

So i have feeling has to do with something storing levels in the memory ?

I have 7 gigs free on c: drive and using 4 gigs of ram with Geforce 7950 gt and dual core 2.4ghz

Could it be memory settings ? should i switch to system manage ?

JamesMK
03-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, it does indeed store all levels in RAM, including the levels you're not currently working on (this is done to make jumping from level to level as fast as possible), but you can force MB to write the inactive levels to your harddrive and thereby free up some RAM - just use the "move levels data" command.

That aside, the sculpts you're talking about really shouldn't cause any problems. Maybe try restarting MB, or reboot your machine, or do a rain dance or something - because, well, I only have 1 GB or RAM and usually don't need to start moving or hiding data until I hit the 4 million poly mark.

MikeNash
03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeh, its bit of weird problem, i've tried those others things without any luck.
If anyone else can shed some light on this it will be great hep

tims3d
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I also have the similar problem with my mudbox, it since like everything over 1 million it starts to get pretty slow.Yeh, its bit of weird problem, i've tried those others things without any luck.
If anyone else can shed some light on this it will be great hep

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.