PDA

View Full Version : Monitor flashing

Lunatique
03-04-2003, 03:43 AM
My 19" started flashing a lot today--like every few seconds it'll flash about 3~4 times. What does this mean? I've only had it for a year and a half, and it's plugged into am UPS.

The flashing is like, it dims about 35%, then back to 100%.

MaDSheeP
03-04-2003, 03:52 AM
my 6 year old monitor started doing that...

i could really notice it when i was working in a dark program, diablo, or a dark web page, i would really notice it flash, i never did figure out what was the problem

i just eventually got a new monitor

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 04:31 AM
my guess would be inconsistent power flow from the UPS... those die a lot sooner than most people think. Plug ur monitor into a wall outlet, no surge protectors and see what happens.

Lunatique
03-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Holy cow is was the UPS! Thanks for the tip!

I had no idea the UPS could die that soon!

So, now that I have my monitor plugged into the wall, should I keep my computer plugged into the UPS? Would it be harmful to my computer if I keep it plugged in the to UPS? (In China, the electricity can go out without warning--and it happens all the time. So I definitely shouldn't plug it into the wall).

Aother thing--the UPS is supposed to take the current, store it, and then feed it to the computer at a consistent rate for smooth power--how could that fail?

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Get a stronger UPS. Actually, it depends. IDealy, the UPS is parallel wired. In other situations, it is wired in series so the battery portion is connected to the wall AND to the thing using the power.... in this case, the battery is constantly being used and recharged @ the same time.... and with any rechargable, this kind of use degrades the material inside the chemical cell reducing its ability to hold a charge. Other UPS's are parallel wired such that the outlet has a current going directly to the hardware with a parallel current going to the battery and when the main parallel current fails in a power outage, it autofeeds from the battery thus using the battery only when necessary. But then again, my understanding of UPS power might be significantly off.... but a UPS is to keep your system running safely so u can shut down when the power goes out... it isn't meant to actually keep the system going... if u want that, get a generator.

Lunatique
03-05-2003, 05:32 AM
It looks like it's unstable current feeding into my house that's the problem. Plugged in the wall socket does it too now...

I'm getting a new UPS and see if that helps.

singularity2006
03-05-2003, 05:37 AM
btw, make sure ur not in a portion of the house where there is a lot of electrical wire in the wall.... those generate some severe EM waves that can seriously mess with the monitor and overtime, even kill it. I learned this on several occasions and deal with it @ work. We have a small office that uses regular CRT's and the walls have really old electrical wiring that generates a lot of EM that messes with the equipment. All the hardware is out of whack ... but we're too cheap to fix so we put up with the flickering.

I would suggest moving your monitor to the center of the most open room you can find and then seeing how it works out. U may find that the flickering does not occur, or occurs with less frequency or intensity.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.