PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel: Just Finished FX Reel -

kiley
03-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Hey Everyone - I am new to this forum. Here is the link to my just finished FX if not animation Reel. Check it out - it is only 13 mgs and tell my what you think!!
http://www.vfs.com\~kmcfarlen
http://www.vfs.com/~kmcfarlen/images/cgtalk.jpg
kmcfarlen@vfs.com

dmcgrath
03-04-2003, 12:28 AM
As far as showing elements of compositing and workflow, I think you did a good job. But the actual character is not animated that well. He needs more weight to his walk in most of your shots. His fall and splat on the ground is fantastic! But when he gets up, his arms are kind of floating around, and he walks a little like he's unsure of exactly how to do it. I usually have a problem making my arms on my characters a little too "floaty" as well, so it's something I'm beginning to notice on other people's work.
Also, the music doesn't add anything to the reel, imo, you could just leave it off. Many people looking at reels will just watch them without sound, unless you have some lip-synch going on in it. Teh texturing and the character are really nice, but the animation needs to be tightened up. Keep at it.

jchoi
03-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Dude, I love your work as always.

Hope that'll land you a job here in Vancity and keep it up!

Much love for ya.

Gino.

Stimpy
03-04-2003, 11:21 AM
all this making of and comp in progress thingy might be interesting for n00bs but if you want to apply somewhere for a job, this is just pointless, since everyone knows how its done. so maybe skip that part...

rather work some more on the color correction of that gnome.. stands too much out in my opinion.

Lorecanth
03-04-2003, 02:01 PM
In reply to the comment about shot breakdowns. Every major studio I've seen postings for jobs have requested shot breakdowns, they want to know what you did on your reel. In this particular instance though Kiley you might want to think twice about what you post on the web. Make two vids one for the reel and one for breakdowns.

In regards to the rest man, I get that vfs hurried you up and pressured you to pump out a reel feeling. Because if anyone pays attention to the mesh tests at the end your rig is freakin awesome. Sadly not many people pay attention to that, just the animation. Go back and animate a few more shots with your guy and repost. Spend some more time on it this time. You'll get it.

Jeff
3D35

Stimpy
03-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Lorecanth
In reply to the comment about shot breakdowns. Every major studio I've seen postings for jobs have requested shot breakdowns, they want to know what you did on your reel. In this particular instance though Kiley you might want to think twice about what you post on the web. Make two vids one for the reel and one for breakdowns.

if they want a shot breakdown then just put a short sequence at the end of the reel where you say "i did everything in that shot", but not this "wireframe of background" - "shadow alone" - "gnome composited with bg" - "gnome collorcorrected", etc. because those are really just basics.

edit: i really like the end idea, with him stepping into that "wireframe tube". too bad its a bit small to actually see much.

kiley
03-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the comments from all - i have never put any of my work on here before - it is really quite confronting...as to the shot breakdown business - yes everytime i play through my reel and it goes into that section i cringe because it is all really boring anf to me, the one who did it, quite obvious - however, i was under the impression that employers are interested in these sort of things to bring to their attention some of the finer details of VFX that they might not have noticed after running through it once. They say that the best Special Effects work is the stuff that you don't even notice...seamless integration. Whatever - at the end of the day i am sick to death of looking at the thing and am anxious to get something different out. Thanks for the mail Jeff i will check that out. peace.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.