View Full Version : Hardware question

Michel.E
03-03-2003, 08:51 PM
I recently bought a 'GFORCE 2 GTS 32MB' video card for my computer:

Intel Celeron Processor
333 Mhz
160mb ram
20 gig hardrive

Even though my computer's mhz is slow by todays standards, will I still be able to play games with 500mhz minimum requirements? if so, will it lag a little?

AmbientLight
03-03-2003, 09:40 PM
A little? I'd say a lot. You won't be able to play any new games. The only game that will run ok is Master of Orion 3, because it's a turn-based empire building game that doesn't have advanced graphics and virtually has no sound. My pal's got 600MHz Athlon with Radeon 7500 and he had to return C&C Generals. It was painfully slow.

All these minimum requirements mean nothing in most cases. I don't know where they get them. I think they just want to make more people buy their games.

A couple of days ago. I downloaded Rainbow Six 3: Raven's Shield multiplayer demo. They say that recommended system should be 800MHz and 32MB video. Noway you can run that game on such system with all detail on high and 1024x768. I played it on 1.5GHz Athlon with full detail and I had between 24-50fps. And if I turn all detail down, the game begin to look... ugly.

If you want to play games, why don't you try XBOX, PS2 or GC? They are pretty cheap and there are a lot of cool games. There are also many PC games on XBOX.

Valkyrien
03-03-2003, 10:13 PM
geez, I didn't know they made Celerons that slow...:eek:

GregHess
03-03-2003, 10:35 PM
They did back in the day. =/

When it comes to games, always exchange the minimum requirements with the "recommended" requirements to get the ACTUAL minimum requirements.

The minimum requirments are usually if you turn everything the game has to offer off, and then disable any advanced features, neato effects, particle systems, etc. It also assumes your using the lowest resolution possible in the game...usually 640x480. By the time you get the game setup and ready to go, (if its a fps), it looks like Quake1.

The "recommended" settings are usually based off the speed of the system which can run with "most" of the settings on high or maximum. Aka the way the game looks in screenshots on the back of the box.

elvis
03-03-2003, 10:37 PM
previous to my current athlon XP 1800+ gaming system i had a celeron 566 overclocked to 850MHz. (going back more than a year now). even then i found it too slow for the majority of modern day games.

these days a 333MHz anything in my mind is worth nothing more than a file server. if you want any serious grunt for games and/or 3d modelling/rendering, 1GHz is your minimum spec.

you can still build yourself a duron system around the 1.2GHz mark for very little these days. you certainly don't need a massive beast, but what you mention above really is nothing more than a giant typewriter. :)

AmbientLight
03-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Oh wait a sec. 5 years ago I actually used to play original Unreal on the system like that with all settings on max. It was much better game then Unreal II.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.