PDA

View Full Version : Sky Export Issues

bessie01
03-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone,

new to this forum and I'm glad I found it as I'm not getting anywhere with the sky export function. I've read the docs and searched this forum with no luck so I'm sure it's probably me. Have anyone been able to export a sky in cube format with the textures being, say 256 square or 512 square. I've I tried all the settings in the sky export dialogue and can't get it to be the specified size. Say I want 512x512 textures, I figure out a 4x3 with those dimensions equalling 2048x1536, but the textures inside when rendered are not 512x512. The textures in the single cube render end up being a pixel to wide or to short from the specfic I'm expecting. How does one get exactly specified sized textures when exporting a sky cube image?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much

Bessie01

PS. This is in Vue 6

bessie01
04-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Thought I'd ask again as I really need an answer. I have looked at all "skybox", "skycube" posts in this group to see if it was covered and it's not, bummer.

I'm just trying to export a skycube image and get the maps to be exactly 512x512.

I've tried every freaking combination in the skyexport dialog and the closest I can get is 1 pixel over or under 512x512, ask me if that doesn't drive one nuts.

I'm trying to get this exported for a cube map in a game and I'd rather not have to edit the image in photoshop. The warping for a cube map is perfect, so edititng the image removes that effect the more the image is edited. I'd like to not have to touch it at all and get exacting dimensions.

Any help would be hugely, greatly, much appreciated.

Bessie01

devilduece
05-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Select Supporting geometry cube --> then to the right of that check mark "actual dimensions" & un-check "Automatic Aspect Ratio". Enter the values you want in the X & Y fields! That should do it!

bessie01
05-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Devilduece,

1st off thanks so much for replying to this very old email, I had given up all hope, so you rock!

Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm beginning to think this is not possible in the Vue Sky export function and it probably won't be addressed as the newer games are handling sky environments different.

To get my maps 512x512 I set the dimensions for x and y as 1536 x 2048 (x = 3x512 ; y = 4x512). After the render I open up the images in Photoshop and set my square marque to fixed at 512x512. When you click on one of the cube maps inside the render and line up the selection marque to an edge, when you look at the other edge of the marque you'll notice the image extends by 1 pixel in x for some and in xy for others.

I've even gone as fa as to adjust the FOV in the camera did 6 seperate renders in north, south, east, west, etc.. positions to generate the cube maps but then the lighting was different for each position (even though I never touched the lighting in between renders) that I rendered and that didn't work.

Uhg!

Thanks for giving it a shot though, that is much appreciated!

B-

devilduece
05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
bessie01 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=271606)

I should have read your first post again. Sorry. I have no idea how to do that? If I can figure it out I'll post here. :)

duke
05-07-2007, 04:20 AM
I always just do it by rendering it out with a panoramic camera at 2048x1536 or whatever, then turning it into a cubebox via hdrshop.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2007, 04:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.