PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox Mac Version?

John-S
03-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Any word on if they are currently working on a mac version? I was hoping once they released V1 we would be hearing alot more on the matter but it seems to have been silent.

Think we will see a mac version before ZBrush 3 is released and gets my money?
(not meaning as a threat but I am waiting to purchase whichever comes out first)

leigh
03-10-2007, 12:17 AM
https://www.mudbox3d.com/faqs.html#9

I'd also love to see it on Mac. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

John-S
03-10-2007, 01:33 AM
yeah, I've seen the faq but I was hoping maybe they started on it and just haven't updated the faq or something...

I'm dying to get a chance to use mudbox. I just don't want to have to purchase and install ANOTHER OS just for 1 program : (

Please skymatter, please skymatter, please....LOL. Well, if you hear anything else ever or anybody knows anything else on the matter, please mention it here incase I miss it.

Thanks!

John-S
03-10-2007, 02:04 AM
(off topic sorry)

BTW leigh, I just took a cruise of your website and I gotta say THANKS for taking out the time to put together your articles! I've had questions to alot of things that were very simply put there (texturing etc). 3DW should put your beginner guide in thier mag on the page before their software comparisons. It would save alot of forums some typing...

BUZZFX
03-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Any word on if they are currently working on a mac version? I was hoping once they released V1 we would be hearing alot more on the matter but it seems to have been silent.

Think we will see a mac version before ZBrush 3 is released and gets my money?
(not meaning as a threat but I am waiting to purchase whichever comes out first)

Looks like you'lll be buying ZBrush as version 3.0 is supposed to be out on May 15!
I also would like a Mac version. I have emailed Tibor at Skymatter 3 times asking for a Mac version. The only way were going to see it is if we keep requesting it!

Please email Skymatter if you want a mac version of Mudbox.
http://www.mudbox3d.com/contactUs.html

John-S
03-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Done!
(emailed)

Although, don't forget that the mac version of ZBrush 3 will not be released on May 15th. They have yet to announce a date for that...

I'm starting to wonder:

Are ZBrush and Mudbox waiting for Leapards release before saying anything etc?

Or... is it that they just wanted to finish up V1 of Mudbox and V3 of ZBrush before moving on to the mac version like NEX for Maya did?

Hopefully Mudbox aren't scrambling to get V2 out around the same time as ZBrush 3 putting off the mac version date...
(although it would make a better product for everybody... but it would mean I have to wait LONGER...)

John-S
03-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Please email skymatter from that link everybody!!!
(although I'm sure they scan CG Talk and see this but emails probably mean more...)

Hopefully if enough people request it and post here, Tibor will eventually not have to gently let us down with the old, bootcamp routine : (

DorisDay
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Mudbox on Mac please, or isn't my money good enough???

Good shout John...

ZB3 on the Mac is not on 15th May, it looks more like about August time, that's a guess but I'd say 3 months is about right, any longer & i'll be F?@$%*g screwing...

BazC
03-11-2007, 11:05 AM
I heard a rumour that Pixologic originally intended releasing windows and mac vrsions of ZB3 at Siggraph which suggests that could still be a possibility for the Mac version. I'm not overly hopeful though, if I remember rightly ZB2 for Mac was released a good 6 months after the windows version.

If Skymatter are serious about releasing a Mac version and they planned for it from the beginning they could quite easily beat ZB3 for Mac. Modo 301 will have sculpting too and will be released this year (Mac and windows together, way to go Lux!) My guess would be at Siggraph. It's unlikely to handle the kind of poly counts that Mudbox and ZB handle but it also has an excellent modeler and fantastic renderer and 3d painter. Silo2 is currently in open beta and should be released before all of them. I can get about 1 million polys out of it on my 2.66GHz Mac Pro (1gig RAM) and the sculpting is nice and smooth.

Mudbox for Mac would be fantastic though so please Skymatter give us some good news soon!

John-S
03-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, I am a big fan of modo. And I just downloaded silo for the first time (trial) and loved it. As soon as I get a few extra bucks Modo is in my pipeline instantly! I would have bought it before but I was hoping they would off training materials ALONG with the $200 off thing a little while back.

I seen the video for Modo sculpting/texturing and thought it was awesome. I don't think it can handle the polycount that ZBrush and Mudbox can handle though...

John-S
05-14-2007, 10:56 PM
So, hows that mac version coming? Any rumors for Sig or anything?

I'm not that great at 3D yet but I'd be glad to be a Beta Tester : )
(we can all dream right...)

DorisDay
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I've been using Mudbox on my Mac via Parallels this last week & must say I don't really like it, it does the job well but I just don't like the feel or look of it for some reason.

I've also just sat through an hour & a half of vid for Modo 301 & its blown my mind, this is the release of the year hands down...

pd
05-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Can't wait for it too. I'm really curious how the sculpting will compare to mudbox/zbrush. Coupled with the nice painting tools and it's modelling/deforming abilities it has already, Modo might become a killer app.

bobzilla
05-15-2007, 10:25 PM
I heard a rumour that Pixologic originally intended releasing windows and mac vrsions of ZB3 at Siggraph which suggests that could still be a possibility for the Mac version. I'm not overly hopeful though, if I remember rightly ZB2 for Mac was released a good 6 months after the windows version.

If Skymatter are serious about releasing a Mac version and they planned for it from the beginning they could quite easily beat ZB3 for Mac. Modo 301 will have sculpting too and will be released this year (Mac and windows together, way to go Lux!) My guess would be at Siggraph. It's unlikely to handle the kind of poly counts that Mudbox and ZB handle but it also has an excellent modeler and fantastic renderer and 3d painter. Silo2 is currently in open beta and should be released before all of them. I can get about 1 million polys out of it on my 2.66GHz Mac Pro (1gig RAM) and the sculpting is nice and smooth.

Mudbox for Mac would be fantastic though so please Skymatter give us some good news soon!

Are you talking about Silo when you said a million polies? I have it on a 2 GHz Intel iMac with 2 gig RAM and get get into the hundreds of thousands without significant slow down.

industripop
05-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Okay, I've just got to give Mudbox a try. Has anyone made the attempt to use MB with Virtual PC on a Mac yet? I'm on a PowerPC (and not an Intel monster--otherwise I'd try Bootcamp or whatever.) I know for sure it'll be slow, but I'm curious to see just how slow.

Did this with the ZBrush demo a while back before the Mac version came out, and while it was pretty slow compared to the native version, it wasn't completely unbearable.

DorisDay
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
I had Mudbox running under Parallels using XP as the OS & found it worked fine, pretty quick to be fair...

My Specs are: Intel Quad Macpro 3.0Ghz, 8Gb of ram...

industripop
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I had Mudbox running under Parallels using XP as the OS & found it worked fine, pretty quick to be fair...

My Specs are: Intel Quad Macpro 3.0Ghz, 8Gb of ram...

Parallels is an "IntelMac" application though, right? Unfotunately, I think I'm stuck with using Virtual PC because I'm on a PowerMac G4. I know what I have won't do MB justice, but I'm REALLY wanting to give it a try, even if it's a little slow.

LukaStellwag
11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi,
any news on that yet?

simonthorpe
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me at all. I have a new Macbook Pro with Parallels 3.0. Windows XP Pro is running on it and I've installed Mudbox. The application launches ok but as soon as I try to do anything at all it crashes and crashes the virtual machine at the same time. Here are my specs:

Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 8600M GT 256Mb
250 GB Hard Drive

Parallels memory was set to 512 MB but I have adjusted that to 2048 MB but it has made no difference. Nor has deleting the Mudbox folder in My Documents.

Any help would be much appreciated as I really am looking forward to learning how to use this software. Has anyone else had any luck running Mudbox on other virtual machine software such as Fusion?

Thanks.

Simon

LukaStellwag
12-17-2007, 04:55 AM
Not really. Are there any drivers you might have to install to make it work or something? Probably that.

But has anyone heard anything about Mudbox for Mac?

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2007, 04:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.