PDA

View Full Version : Does ANYONE Know how to Open A DELL CASE?

singularity2006
03-03-2003, 07:03 PM
HEY, does anyone know how to open up the side panel on a Dell XPST-450, one of their older towers? I can open up the side panel to add in cards and stuff but how the h!@#R#@$@$%@#$$#%^%$^& do you open the side panel on the motherboard side so u can reach the screws on the drive bays?!?!?!?!? >.<

GregHess
03-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Got a pic? I've worked with dells as old as 95' and can open pretty much all the models. There is usually a section which slides to unlock the other sections.

On most of the XPS systems, you first snap off the rear section. (Its levered on one side) then either slide off the bottom (to get better grip on the side/top. Or just press the two section down, and push forward on the side panel.

I don't have a digi cam at work, or I'd take some pics for you of the process.

singularity2006
03-03-2003, 07:28 PM
yeah, let me go home sometime this evening and take a picture of the thing. I think it is a '95 model. I've spent a very long time looking @ that thing and I think the most I was ever able to do was removed the first side panel by unscrewing the screw mechanism in the back and removing the front bezel. But then came the last panel, I had no idea how that could be removed because it looked like it was connected solid with the case's top cover which is stuck permanently to the chassis.

dvornik
03-03-2003, 08:00 PM
If it's what I think it is then:

One side slides off backwards. Then unsnap front panel - it has these plastic clips (3 i think) on one side and swivels to the other side. There's a screw in the front holding the drive cage, unscrew it. Slide the whole cage with drives in it out towards the front.

D_Caldie
03-03-2003, 08:42 PM
And if that doeasn't work i suggest you pull out the old chainsaw!
(Being careful to not damage any components)

Valkyrien
03-03-2003, 10:12 PM
god how i love my case...you just unscrew a couple of screws in the back,grab the handle, and pull the side panel off!!:eek::eek: revolutionary!!;)

gimpgutter
03-03-2003, 10:20 PM
OK, i still got a dell XPS133 and if its similar to my case, it can be a bitch. Basically, there is a thumbscrew on the back midway down the case u need to unscrew completely till it slides out a bit. Then, u will see 2 platics tabs on ONE side of the case at the corners in the back. You can see they bend down a bit. MY case was a bitch to pull apart. Some days it took 2 people to push in the tabs and slide straight back. I believe ur case is similar, so give it a go, if not....light the thing on fire and send it off to sea.

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 04:34 AM
oooh, scrub that guys. My bro game over and fiddle with it and it turns out there is a cage that encloses the drive bay peripherals. That came off with one screw. My thingier is old... -.-"

Sgt_Bukkake_Man
03-04-2003, 12:35 PM
run over it with your car.
Dell sucks.

imashination
03-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Hammer.

:wip:

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Sgt_Bukkake_Man
run over it with your car.
Dell sucks.

Dell sux for high end users in general. But overall, I've never had much trouble with them at all. They are pricy, but solid machines with solid support. Support is really what you're paying for when you buy their systems. Hardcore users will build their own, agreed, but Dell is nice for people that don't have time to search and just want something solid very soon.

elvis
03-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by singularity2006
Support is really what you're paying for when you buy their systems. Hardcore users will build their own, agreed, but Dell is nice for people that don't have time to search and just want something solid very soon.

couldn't agree more. when you've got over 3000 users in 27 offices across 5 countries, you don't want to spend all o fyour time fixing busted machines. dell gold support means you get a tech out onsite in 4 hours to fix your problems and then go away and not bug you any more, nor invoice you for their time.

makes life very easy at the corporate end.

having said that, i'd never buy a dell for home use. EVER. custom build and you'll save around half the money every time. but of course, when it breaks you're the one shelling out to replace stuff. :)

dvornik
03-05-2003, 12:32 AM
A small note on that. Better support costs significantly more money. Corporate and individual customers are treated very differently at Dell. Regular Dell support is nothing special. Wait times are long, sometimes solutions are inadequate.

We have a couple of broken Dells that are on warranty and we couldn't get them fixed. In one of them a RAM slot broke when we put extra RAM in and Dell squarely blamed it on us - "RAM wasn't installed by a Dell technician". And since it's rambus the machine's dead. The other Dell has a broken case and that was also blamed on us even though it broke during regular maintenance.

As far as the mentioned case goes - I think it's the last non-propriatary Dell case that can be used for standard ATX boards and power supplies.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.