PDA

View Full Version : Strange point behavior, after smooth bind

Tabu_Nuf
03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
hey
Im in a production where Im rigging and skinning in Maya.
Im rather new to Maya (Have only used it properly for a week or something now) so please bear with me if this is a common problem.

I have rigged a character for a HalfLife2 mod we are working on, I am currently skinning him.
The rig is set up partly with parenting, but becouse it has to work with HalfLife2, all handles (NURBS curves) are bound with parent constraints.

I have a reverse foot control.. also set up with parent constraints.

Something have happend, so I am not able to mirror the weights (this is probably why my problem is only on one side!)

now to my problem, I work from bottom up, so I skinned the legs first. When I come to the hip control and rotate that.. a point im the back of my left knee moves way out of position, I do not know why this is? as it is only connected to hip and knee bone (See image)

Is there any way to detact a single point from the weight skin and the reattach it again in Maya? If so, how?

http://www.nuf.dk/1/jarhadin.jpg

ErikSvensson
03-09-2007, 10:43 AM
You should not have any influence by the hip down there. Set the vertex to 100 % controlled by the thigh, maybe some fading towards his lower leg, but if you have it as it is now, the hiprotation makes 50 % influence down there, and send the point out, cause the points "influence pivot" is around his hip, were it not should be.

Erik

Edit. My bad, didn't see that your leg was named to hip, I always say thigh to the higher leg. :) Then I have no idea why it does something like that. It's really odd.

Tabu_Nuf
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
some update info on the problem...
IVe worked a bit around with the model.. and for some reason when I split the vertex (It becomes 4 vertices) some of the vertices are bound to strange places...the head for example? however I cannot correct this error... some of the vertices are not bound to any bones? and I dont know how to add them to the waightmap?

However, I think the problem have come from the FBX export from Max, now we exported it again in OBJ format, and I will rebind it... the problem is aparently gone.

Thx for the reply anyways :)

kojala
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
When you skin a mesh and after that smooth it or tesselate it its common behaviour from maya that it wont skin those new vertices that it creates. Only solution that I know for adding new vertices to skinning is to skin again.

ErikSvensson
03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
You can download michel comets save skinweight script too, and then save the skinweight, detach, fix the mesh and bind / load the weighting. It works great from my previous experience. :)

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.