PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Tablet Questions

Farfalo
03-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Is it USB?

Also, how do you know where you're drawing unless you're looking at the computer? Is the picture projected on to the tablet so you know where your drawing? Otherwise it seems pretty difficult.

newellteapot
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi!

no don't worry, it becomes a second nature, you will get used to it in a couple of days, a week tops.
No the image is not projected into the tablet itself, I'm afraid. That would be grand, but tablets don't have this capacity, yet. Although, there are new and exciting technologies out there that, hopefully, will become of common use in a near future.
Have a look on Google, if you are interested, and the MIT Boston and Palo Alto research centers sites.
;)

PS: mine is USB

peekoot
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
you have this:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/int/products/cintiq/index.asp?lang=en

it's bit pricey tho...

anyone has experience with this one?

newellteapot
03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I think I heard that it's a bit like drawing with glass ove ryour sheet of paper, but I suppose you can get used to that. It looks really cool

peekoot
03-09-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah, i suspected it might like that... they say the surface should simulate friction of paper but it's never the same..

however, that tablet is all about hand/eye coordination... am sure it's much more pleasant to actually draw with that one compared to standard ones... but you're right.. regular tablet is really not a problem to get used to...

Coll
03-11-2007, 03:57 PM
IF the texture of the tablet is bugging you, I suggest taping a piece of paper to it. It doesn't affect the performance at all and it feels a lot more natural.

It would probably be a probem for the Cintiqs, though...

newellteapot
03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
mmm good idea, never thought about it. Would be useful when drawing, although I wouldn't use it when modleing, surfing the net and so on (yeah, I use the pen even to surf...).

IF the texture of the tablet is bugging you, I suggest taping a piece of paper to it. It doesn't affect the performance at all and it feels a lot more natural.

jtaddei
03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Monica,

Do you find it a pain in the ass to have to put the pen down or hold it in your hand between your fingers when you have to type something in? When i used to have a tablet (long time ago) that was a major speed bump for me... sometimes i'd put the pen down and it'd roll somewhere I COULDNT FIND! GRRRRRR

mmm good idea, never thought about it. Would be useful when drawing, although I wouldn't use it when modleing, surfing the net and so on (yeah, I use the pen even to surf...).

Sinew
03-12-2007, 11:16 PM
i bought a cheap trust tablet, and havent looked back. using it with zbrush is a million times better than using a mouse. havent really used it in max too much, but use it in photoshop loads. think the trust A4 tablet was only 50, but now i think id prefere a wacom A5, as i find A4 too big at times.

Coll
03-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Monica,

Do you find it a pain in the ass to have to put the pen down or hold it in your hand between your fingers when you have to type something in? When i used to have a tablet (long time ago) that was a major speed bump for me... sometimes i'd put the pen down and it'd roll somewhere I COULDNT FIND! GRRRRRR

I used to find the typing thing a hassle, so I managed to rearrange by workspace so that they're both laying flat on different parts of my desk, so I can just drop the tablet and type when I have to.

I still lose the pen though. That's just disorganisation on my part, though. Ideally I should be using the little inkwell-looking thing it came with

Cxyda
03-14-2007, 02:17 PM
okay one more question ... is A5 enough or should it be A4?!

I never had experience with a tablet so i don't know a thing about it ... IMHO A5 seems a bit to small for drawings! or am i wrong?! o.0

Cxyda

Sinew
03-14-2007, 02:19 PM
best to try 1st. im sure a pc store will let you try 1st. personally i find A4 too big. just think how little your mouse moves.

Cxyda
03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
hmm, yeah maybe but i think it sucks really hard if your A5 workspace is too small while drawing?!

But i think i really should try it first!

THX 4 help

peekoot
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
depends on the size of monitor... pen movements on tablet are absolute.. so, bigger the monitor, bigger the tablet you will need...

also.. if you have dual monitor setup and you would like to use tablet on both, you'd probably need a4... wacom refuses to support switching between monitors via hotkeys... they silenced numerous threads with users complaining about that (on their forum.. not here on cgtalk of course :) )... conspiracy theorists say it's because they want more of a4s to sell... it makes sense.. stranger things have happened :)

pagedown
03-15-2007, 03:01 AM

i heard that useing a peace of paper on top of the glass surface wears down the pen's tip even faster.

Coll
03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
i heard that useing a peace of paper on top of the glass surface wears down the pen's tip even faster.

It's not like you go through a pen tip per month. I've had my tablet for two years and I'm still using the original tip. Even if you do go through them a bit faster, being comfortable makes your work better, so you'll see better results

peekoot
03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
... and they're easy/cheap to replace...

TheSoracle
03-18-2007, 05:50 AM
i have a quick question.

What is the difference between this graphire and intuos?

Which is better for what?

Thanks.

vincent1
03-18-2007, 01:41 PM
The Intuos is much more responsive than the Graphire (I have both).

For painting, the Intuos wins hands down. For pushing 3d vertices, you probably won't find much difference.

For me, the 6 x 8 is a nice size. Too small like the graphire's 4 x 5, you lose some flair in your stroke range for drawing and painting. Again, for 3d it won't matter much.

I use wacom for all my work, 2d, 3d, video and vector.

peekoot
03-18-2007, 03:45 PM
i think that graphire ones don't respond to inclination of the pen....

Coll
03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Graphires are geared more toward the casual user; the kind who'll likely only use it for photo editing, etc. I don't think they have all the handy interface buttons that an Intuos has, either.

I personally use an Intuos3 9x12. In retrospect, it's probably more than I needed, but I love the freedom of motion it gives me. I can do wholse drawings, from rough to colour, all on the PC.

Racc
03-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I have the Cintiq 21UX and use it for just about everything, including 3DS Max. Works great. It's as much more intuitive in its use over a regular tablet as a regular tablet is over using a mouse.

Also, for those wondering about the surface texture... The Cintiq does give you a slightly more paper-like feel, but it's still not 100% natural feeling that way using the standard nib. But, with the Intuos stylus you can get all different kind of nibs that give different feels and results. They've got nibs for simulating the feel of a felt tip pen, a ball-point pen, and one that even helps to better simulate the feel of paper. And they do a pretty good job of it.

--Racc

peekoot
03-21-2007, 01:55 PM
that's great! i'm just looking for reasons to go for cintiq :)

one thing i've found in specs that was bothering me a bit and that's quite slow response time and low brightness:

Brightness (cd/m2) 250
Contrast Ratio 550:1
Response Rate (ms) 30

so i take it these things are not bothering you?

Racc
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
that's great! i'm just looking for reasons to go for cintiq :)

one thing i've found in specs that was bothering me a bit and that's quite slow response time and low brightness:

Brightness (cd/m2) 250
Contrast Ratio 550:1
Response Rate (ms) 30

so i take it these things are not bothering you?

No, I have not been bothered by any of those things. The monitor in the Cintiq, though not the absolute best LCD quality you can buy, is in my opinion much better in quality than the typical LCD display.

I have three monitors on my desk. The Cintiq, a mid-range LCD from Dell, and a 21" NEC CRT. The Cintiq is not as bright as the Dell, but the Dell tends to blow everything out and make everything too bright even after being calibrated. I wouldn't trust the Dell monitor for design work. The brightness of the Cintiq is much closer to that of the CRT and the colors look like a pretty good match, too. I do all my design work on the Cintiq and have not had any problems with colors coming out different from what I designed when taken to their final medium (in my case video and TV). The contrast ratio spec on the Cintiq could be better, but it's never bothered me.

As far as response rate goes... I've never noticed a problem with that, either. When wildly moving the stylus around, the cursor is always right underneath the tip. I've never seen any ripping, tearing, or ghosting no matter how fast I move stuff around.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy I have to say the Cintiq is a very well made, quality device. And although the technical specs of the display aren't the most advanced, the overall quality and craftmanship of the unit more than compensates for that. Sitting on my desk, it's not only a display, not only a tablet, but also a work of art.

If you're considering getting one, but are not sure, then my advice would be to go to a dealer, a trade show, or something and give one a test drive. Just be warned, once you touch one you'll probably want to keep it. :)

--Racc

peekoot
03-21-2007, 05:38 PM
thanks Scott... just the kind of first hand info i was looking for! :)

i'm quite pleasantly surprised by the fact that brush always stays below the tip of the pen... i was expecting that it will lag a bit.. and the fact that the display of colors is correct is quite important to me... i'm not expecting the display to be professional quality stuff (in range of 24inch eizo monitors) anyway... it's more for better hand-eye coordination and more natural feel when drawing.. from your satisfaction i'll just conclude it's more than good enough...

and yeah.. i'd have to agree.. it definitely looks like work of art of it's own!

have you had any chance to try zbrush with it perhaps? are you using those touch strips for zooming? (i'm on a4 intuos2 at the moment so i haven't had the chance to try them).. and have you had problems with surface becoming too dirty?

yeah i agree.. i will definitely try it before i buy it but it looks like i'm slowly sinking towards spending those 2.5 grand :)

Racc
03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
i'm quite pleasantly surprised by the fact that brush always stays below the tip of the pen...

have you had any chance to try zbrush with it perhaps? are you using those touch strips for zooming? (i'm on a4 intuos2 at the moment so i haven't had the chance to try them).. and have you had problems with surface becoming too dirty?

Okay, to be fair, now that we're talking about it and after doing some more purposeful testing, if you move the stylus really fast the cursor will lag a little bit behind. I never really noticed it before. I guess it's because with painting and manipulating stuff you're not usually moving fast enough for it to matter that much. So there is a little lag, but it's not been noticable with general use. Might be a different story if I were using the Cintiq for precision gaming.

I use the buttons and touch strips all the time. They can be configured differently for every application. For example while browsing the web, I've configured the rocker switch on the stylus to be up and down key presses which allows me to scroll a web page using the stylus while tapping a link to click on it. In Max, I've assigned the shift modifier to the bottom of the rocker switch and right-click to the top... makes shift/dragging and working with quad menus a breeze. In Photoshop, I use the right touchstrip to control brush size (I'm left handed) and the buttons for things like cut, paste, undo and redo, etc.

I've never used Zbrush, but I have used the stylus with the new paint deformations in Max 9. That works really well and (if I recall correctly) you can set Max to recognize pressure sensitivity when using the paint functions. So, I'm guessing it should work just fine with Zbrush.

I do rest my hands on the screen a lot, so it can get a little dirty after a while. I use a lint-free lens cloth that you can buy anywhere and a small dab of water and that cleans the screen nicely. Surprisingly, I've never seen any fingerprints on the Cintiq. I don't how they managed that, but they should bottle it. My CRT has no interactivity and I "know" I never touched it, but yet there were always fingerprints on the screen. :)

peekoot
03-21-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah that kind of lag wouldn't bother me at all.. and precission gaming is probably something i wouldn't do with this baby (although real time strategies might be interesting with it :))

well... again- thanks for insightfull feedback... i believe i'm sinking even deeper... :)

cheers!

Racc
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM
No problem. Glad I could help.

As far as sinking deeper... come on in, the water's fine. :)

--Racc

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.