PDA

View Full Version : Paper cutout effect... for a character.

imageflood
03-08-2007, 10:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a method of generating a polygon (per frame) based on an image sequence. I want to use a sequence of a character's alpha channel to generate these polys... so basically a polygon that is shaped to the white cutout of the image.

I've tried using the toon outline to generate this cutout outline but I'm not getting the results that I would like. I basically want a plate that will look like paper cutout with an exacto blade. Very sharp straight cuts. I'll use this plate to put behind the character in compositing. Does anyone know of an alternative way to generate this cutout?

Thanks guys!!!

-Chris Beintema

MikeRhone
03-09-2007, 06:25 AM
The first thought off the top of my head would be to export the shapes as .ai files from photoshop (Via a macro/batch) then import that sequentially into Maya (via expression or MEL). Its not a 3 second job, but if you intend do this effect often I'm sure it would be an easy thing to do up a pipeline for. (And if you're at EA you probably have a whole team of scripters at your disposal ;) )

Mike

P.S. Were you one of the EA dudes that used to join Bardel/Radical/Rockstar for lunchtime, out-of-shape-animator soccer last year? I remember a ton of Blackbox people used to come out.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2007, 06:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.