PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Hair tips

stoneyboy
03-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi ppl.

I'm working on this anime type character, and the only piece left in the puzzle
is the hair. However, getting that spiky hair with smoothing modifiers is tricky.
Does anyone have a good tutorial or something regarding mesh hair ?
I use 3dsMAX btw.

Thnx alot ^^

newellteapot
03-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi! there are tricks to overcome the smooth prob. You can select vertices and "weight" them, for example (under edit poly-vertices and then choose the amount of weight). Or you can add more subs where you want more sharpness, it's probably the best option. Ore, even, you can pick some edges (mesh smooth-edges) and then crease them (effective but you have to fiddle around a little bit).
If you upload an image of the sketch we might be able to help more.
:)
Monica

Hi ppl.

I'm working on this anime type character, and the only piece left in the puzzle
is the hair. However, getting that spiky hair with smoothing modifiers is tricky.
Does anyone have a good tutorial or something regarding mesh hair ?
I use 3dsMAX btw.

Thnx alot ^^

DeFi
03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi, I usually don't use subdivision modeling on anime hair but spline cages with a surface modifier on it. With this you can get nice spiky hair as well as smooth flowing long hair.
The modeling flow is also nice, because you can start with a single spline for each strand to get the outlines of the hairdo right. After that you can duplicate the splines for a strand twice and modify them to prepare a spiky three sided strand(use the snap to vertex to join the spines on one end). Then insert spline rings on the vertices of your three splines to complete the cage(also with snap to vertex) and set all new vertices to smooth(or corner if you want to have sharp hair edges). If you add a surface modifier now, the result are nice quad-patch strands with three tri-patches at the spiky ends each. It's also useful to put a turnToPoly modifier on the top of the surface modifier if you use 3dsmax 6+

A much easier approach would be to loft the initial splines, and adjust the loft width to make them spiky, but you loose a lot of control by using lofts and you can not join them into complex multi-tip strands like you can with the splines.

And here's a little example that uses the first method + some extra techs :D :
http://www.defi1.de/splinehair.jpg

I hope this is helpful. :)

stoneyboy
03-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi again. Thnx alot for the tips, the latter looks really useful for what I am trying to
accomplish. Allthough the process is rather new to me.
My progression so far has been to detach the upper deck of the head and plane model
myself to some hair tips, welding the quad togheter at the tip. Then a mesh_smooth modifier.
It looks ok, but nearly as good as the tip you posted. So I think I'll try you're method.

Thnx a bunch !
(mind the spelling ^^)

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2007, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.