PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation & Lip Sync

onuryeldan
01-03-2002, 07:26 AM
Hi, I have completed my first Lip Sync animation. I am waiting for your critiques...

Here is the link:
Desert Storm (http://www.tychodrome.com/onur_yeldan/Animation/Desert_Storm.avi)

-JT-
01-03-2002, 07:36 AM
Well done, i like the result, your character has a nice style too. :)
Do you plan to make a short movie out of it ?

sigma
01-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Great animation. Love the expression on your avatar, lol.
nice job with the lip sync, the last line must of been tuff. Fast speech. He says 'Come on its an emergency' perfectly I think. The only thing I see that could use some work is when he says 'operation desert storm' His face/cheeks/mouth deform maybe too much i think, maybe too fast? maybe its just me :p

Im not no expert, im just tellin ya what i see. :)

nice work

houshi
01-03-2002, 09:19 PM
looks nice, i really like the colors u chose for him....
he sounds like Mark Wahlberg.. wut movie did u get da sound clip from?

keep up the good work.....

Lupin
01-04-2002, 03:20 AM
I like it. :)

And I'm guessing the clip is from Three Kings.

bentllama
01-04-2002, 04:22 AM
I think your biggest problem is the "deadness" inherent when animating in 3D...

no part of the character should "freeze" solid at any given point in time...unless it is mechanical animation you are looking for...

try [m]moving holds[/b]

I can give you a few bad examples in your animation:

-when he pulls his body up, you have his right arm locked in positon...action and reaction...remember to add follow through and overlapping action...
- his right arm and neck does the same...try not to "lock" body parts...joints are loose hinges...ever hear the lyrics "the hip bone is connected to the leg bone...etc"?...when a body part moves, something has to follow... [except if it is at the end of a chain (ie: finger tips)]

** with all that said one major word of caution: be careful not to make things to swimmy by overanimating every body part! yet another mistake ften made...

later and nice job... keep it up!

peace.

bentllama
01-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Below is an excerpt on MOVING HOLDS from John Lasseter...

MOVING HOLDS

In hand-drawn animation, it is very common to animate an action, then slow into a pose and hold the drawing of that pose for several frames, then move into action again. Being two dimensional animation, the action stays alive even with the use of held drawings. The same goes for puppet and clay animation. But in 3-D computer animation, as soon as you go into a held pose, the action dies immediately. Iíve seen it happen with every animator that came out of traditional animation.

It must be the combination of the dimensional, realistic look and the smooth motion (usually on "ones") that makes a hold cause the motion to die. The eye picks it up immediately, it begins to look like robotic motion. To combat this, use a "moving hold." Instead of having every part of the character stop, have some part continue to move slightly in the same direction, like an arm, a head, or even have the whole body.

Even the slightest movement will keep your character alive. Sometimes an action that feels believable in traditional animation, looks too cartoony in computer animation. Because of the realistic look of computer animation, an animator need to be aware of how far to push the motion. The motion should match the design of the character and the world. Animating very cartoony motion with lots of squash and stretch on a realistic looking object may not look believable, as would realistic motion on a caricatured object.

Y-Guy
01-04-2002, 05:48 PM
john Lasseter is my hero... anyhow, im working on a simple animation, and I found that the 'Animator's Survival Kit' by Richard Williams. Thx Bentllama, that quote really helped me out, cause I was doing motions on 2s on my 3d character... now ill know.

Y-Guy
01-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Sorry, a part of that last post made no sense... What I mean to say is that the 'Animator's Survival Kit' by Richard Williams helped me a great deal in my sense of timing, weight and general outlook on animation.

deluxepaint
01-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Perfect animation, cool libs,, keep working..

onuryeldan
01-06-2002, 05:45 AM
Thank you all for your precious suggestions :)

-JT- >> When I learn how to animate good, I will make a short maybe with some friends ;)

houshi,Lupin >> Yes the clip is from Three Kings. I got the clip from 10 Second Club (http://www.anilusionfilms.com.au/10secondclub/Current_round/current_round.html)

bentllama >> Thanks very much for your suggestions and the article. I will keep all you said in my mind for my next animations :)

deluxepaint >> Thanks buddy ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.