PDA

View Full Version : Trigger particals with sound

mvoss
03-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello everybody, i was wondering if anybody knows how to trigger particles using sound???
I want to link a sound track to a pflow system and be able to trigger different particles using different frequencies. Anybody got an idea how to do it, or where i can find tutorials? .

All help would be very welcome.

Cheers
Marcus

SoLiTuDe
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
You'll have to separate the audio into the different frequencies on your own using something like sound forge. Then you can add an audio controller (look up in help if you need) to the birth rate, and you can tweak that to make it trigger the particles.

charleyc
03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
This question came up another place the other day. I did a couple tests with this and here is a bit of advice when doing this. As the wave variations are typically not sustained for much time at all (you are lucky to get a frame or two between variants) you need a pretty high birth rate to generate very many particles in that given time. So if at first you don't seem to get the results you are after, try increasing the amount your Audio Controller generates.

BrandonD
03-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Yup, the audio controller can take a file and create a normalized range of values that can be used to drive the Rate value in a Birth operator. The most flexible way to do this is to actually use the audio controller on a Multiplier Curve that affects the values of the Rate channel, otherwise you're locked to the values coming out of the audio controller.

mvoss
03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks alot for your advice, i will give it a go. ;-))))

remainz
04-11-2007, 03:55 PM
To get a more vaired approach apply the audio controller to noise strength. You can then have many objects animated uniquely to a single sound using multiple noise controllers if you change the noise seed in each of them.
This gets complicated so use the curve editor

remainz
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
To get a more vaired approach apply the audio controller to noise strength. You can then have many objects animated uniquely to a single sound using multiple noise controllers if you change the noise seed in each of them.
This gets complicated so use the curve editor

PsychoSilence
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
where can i set the time the audio controller analyzes sound?

by default it seems it stops controlling position data (in my case z position of a sphere e.g.) somewhere around frame 90 but i need more then 500 frames :( thatīs because the animation had that length before i modified it. so where can i change the "from: / to:" values of the audio controller?
works fine when i delete the object and create a new one and create a new sound controller on it with the new length...

kind regards,
anselm

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.