PDA

View Full Version : Mouse VS Tablet

Drag-N
03-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Pro's and con's... That, and the title, says it all..

newellteapot
03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I cannot use the mouse simply because it kills my back, I get a sharp pain on my harm and neck, too. So, my advice, use the tablet, your body will thank you.

Also, drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a brick :)

Drag-N
03-08-2007, 07:41 PM
All right.. What about speed? Does it significantly improve my speed if I start using a tablet (sculpting with a mouse using Mudbox and ZBrush takes so long, I give up)?

jtaddei
03-08-2007, 10:45 PM
lol Monica and I have chatted about this topic before.

I use a track ball for use in 3d max and since I don't use zbrush I wouldnt know, but for basic paint deformations in max the trackball gives a very "finger paint" feel to it. I use a marble mouse where the buttons are on the side and your finger tips use the ball (it's big)... the best part is that they are $20 so very expendable.

I wouldn't mind trying a tablet for 3d, but i remember a long time ago how awkward a tablet felt while just doing general computing... nooo thank you.

GregOconn
03-09-2007, 12:21 AM
I think you will find that both a mouse and a tablet have their place. Seeming I am quite often switching between aplications such as Maya, photoshop and z-brush, I find that I am also switching between mouse and tablet. I find it is impossable to function in z-brush without a tablet, and depending on what your doing the same almost goes for photoshop. Using a mouse you dont have the flexibility of the pressure tip and like monica stated earlier it's like trying to draw with a brick or a pack of cards. (ie not easy)

However, I do also use the mouse. Quite often I find myself in Maya, either pushing and pulling vertices or UV mapping and switching to my mouse. I find the the responsiveness of my right click and the accuracy of my fine detail movements are not as prestine with a tablet as it is with my mouse. This could be due to lack of practice, but I find quite often when I'm lifting the pen from the pad my cursor moves slightly.

The tablet isn't for everyone. In fact I've spoken to some people in the industry who believe that they are a waiste of time. Saying that they make people work slower and would not let any of their employee's use them. On the other hand I've met other people who swear by them and would never go back. You generally find the people who swear by them are photoshop or z-brush artists, and those who don't, editors or scripters.

I think in conclusion I believe that the tablet has a definitive place in the artist world of CG. What you need to find out is are you doing the sort of work that it will be enhanced by the use of a tablet?

newellteapot
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi! that's right, forgot to mention that, of course, there are alternatives to the common mouse that are really good, like the one Joel's got. I never tried any but users seem pretty happy with trackballs. Anyway, choose what you feel you are more comfortable with, and that does not hurt your back. About the speed, well, I wouldn't know. I'm fast with the tablet, so I'm happy with it at the moment.

lol Monica and I have chatted about this topic before.

I use a track ball for use in 3d max and since I don't use zbrush I wouldnt know, but for basic paint deformations in max the trackball gives a very "finger paint" feel to it. I use a marble mouse where the buttons are on the side and your finger tips use the ball (it's big)... the best part is that they are $20 so very expendable.

I wouldn't mind trying a tablet for 3d, but i remember a long time ago how awkward a tablet felt while just doing general computing... nooo thank you.

Drag-N
03-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I find it is impossable to function in z-brush with a tablet, and depending on what your doing the same almost goes for photoshop. Using a mouse you dont have the flexibility of the pressure tip and like monica stated earlier it's like trying to draw with a brick or a pack of cards. (ie not easy)

That was kind of a self-contradiction. You say that you find it infeasible to use the tablet with Z-Brush, and at the same time, using the mouse is equally undoable?

GatorNic
03-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Normally I switch as well. If I am do modeling, and a few other tasks I use the mouse. Texturing, Zbrushing, painting weights I do with the pen.

I don't think I could do without the pen in such programs as photoshop and zbrush. Without the pressure sensitivity I don't think you could probably do half the things you can with the pen.

But for modeling I like the mouse. I like less sensitivity when pushing and pulling points. Also, I like using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

newellteapot
03-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, personal preferences apart, the role of teh mouse in the carpal tunnel syndrome is widely recognized, and as it is a a very painful condition the use of tablets in studio should be certainly allowed when people request them. Just choose what you work better with, it's your back, your wrist, not the employer's :)

GregOconn
03-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Lol I meant impossable to use z-brush withOUT a tablet. Nice pickup, fixed it now.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2007, 01:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.