PDA

View Full Version : Win98/xp Compatible: Just Discovered

scotttygett
03-03-2003, 09:25 AM
UPDATE:

This series of posts basically reviews the problems with XP Home as an operating system, and some options you have for avoiding them:

XP's "restore" function (which is actually also available buried in Win98 in a much more conservative form) pretty much prevents reformatting the drive in a straightforward way (You must go to microsoft.com to get the disks -- read on for details.). And the recommended way of having Win98 within Win XP is to load Win 98 first (though read on, about alternatives). If you've used "restore" when installing LightWave, you may have also encountered some other glitches. I am currently trying to get LightWave to find its dongle again.

ORIGINAL POST:
I put the search string "create startup disk" into my XP machine, because it was time to wipe the disk clean, drop XP and install Windows 98 from the carcass of my render patch. Programs I loved had been denied me, and I had a web site that was written in FP Express desperate for revision.

And that's when I discovered what I couldn't find at the Microsoift site or just mentioning my grief on other boards, that one CAN have Windows 98 running concurrently with Windows XP. I will still have to reformat the drive, but who knows? I may be able to: sound edit, sound record, adjust monitor settings, adjust video out quality, use more paint box features, edit web pages .. again.

Voxel57
03-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Do you mean dual boot?

scotttygett
03-03-2003, 01:25 PM
I haven't yet reformatted the disk yet, but I think that was one of the words used for it. I thought other relative newbies would appreciate the news.

Should I forget XP altogether anyway? I've lost all my peripheral software to it, prefer not having the extra steps for mutlitasking and don't need to check in from the limo on my cel phone PDA. I'll miss booting in less than three minutes,...

By the way, congratulations on your new tool. I could see where that might come in handy if you had to create a bunch of microbones and then fuse the remaining... but you can probably tell I am an old INSPIRE user.

lots
03-03-2003, 02:07 PM
i have a questoin why are u dumping XP?

and which version of xp? home?

Voxel57
03-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the congrats!
You are the only who knows what you need.
We all fall into the "I want the new one" trap. But hey if your productive with 98. then just use that.
Inspire? Wow. I wonder if they (Newtek) will ever release LW express here. I know its on Sony laptops in Japan.
The dual boot thing is great if you need to move from one OS to another. I do like XP pro I've had good luck with it so far.
I have a machine set up with boot commander for testing. That has 3 versions of windows and one flaver of Linux.
But that because I need it. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to.

illustrativ
03-03-2003, 02:15 PM
ok if i get what ur saying right, u dont need to reformat, u can partition ur hard drive and install XP while 98 is still on so that u wont loose any information, u can either get partition magic or go to dos and use fdisk to partition ur drive then install xp on the other partition.

scotttygett
03-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Here is the big update-eroo:

This machine was bought from a build-for-you place in the area with Windows XP Home on it. I learned that it works well with very little of the 98 software I own, and even has some problems with Lightwave. (It automatically makes lots of my objects and scenes disappear from their directory, for instance, though the files are there -- I just can't see them listed.)

BUT I CANNOT GET XP TO REFORMAT!!!!

"Dual boot" is fine, in principle, but I have had no luck getting rid of XP. It says FDISK and the WIN98 bootdisk is a "non-system disk." I even visited MAXTOR's web site, and they basically have a faq with an answer about reformating everything but XP.

Not that I didn't try. The download and bootdisk.com files were all kicked out.

ClingFree
03-28-2003, 02:21 PM
XP will reformat. It takes six floppies, but it will do it. If you need an address you can look at microsoft.com. I just don't have it handy. Well, I found the address...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310994
All the downloads for boot disks are at the bottom of the page.

stephen2002
03-28-2003, 03:54 PM
humm...what did you DO to your XP install? Mine boots in under 2 minutes with a whole lot of junk running in the background. I can leave my computer running for long amounts of time without re-start (record so far is 15 days and there was no instability at all at that point). All of my programs work fine.

scotttygett
03-29-2003, 12:58 AM
Adobe Photo Dleuxe Business (just a smidgin'), my graphics card's screen adjustments (now stuck at 800x600), Mixman Studio Pro (including Steinberg Wavelab Lite) which provides a microphone filter which I apparently need as well as a strong sound reader, Front Page Express -- they were part of why I was going back to Windows 98.

The six disks will get me back to Windows 98? Hooray!

(On another website, I read that it would be cheaper for me to replace the hard drive.)

I couldn't find the end of my nose at the microsoft.com page; your link above is a godsend if it reformats.

I like that XP boots fast too.

:p

ineedmoresleep
03-29-2003, 04:47 PM
You should be able to boot your computer w/ your Win98 disk in drive... doing so should take you into setup, (assuming your bios boot setting is cd first) ... Once in setup you can delete your old partition, create partitions and format them w/ fat 32...that being the one you want for win98... Once done setup should start and well...soon you'll b back to the year '98 :) ...

Saying all that i really do think Xp Pro is the best OS out there right now (home isnt so dif unless you have 2 cpu's and do a lot of networking). I've used it since it came out and its been the most stable OS I've ever used. Anyways... hope this solution works for ya.

Oh yea, BTW.... this is my first post here :) Hello all!

dies-irae
03-29-2003, 05:46 PM
you might consider VMWARE. it's commercial, but let me explain what it is...

VMWare is like a virtual computer where you can install what operating system you want (i use it with linux and w98)

the great part about it is that you dont have to shut down your machine just to use w98-only software.
see the screenshot to understand how it works, it's a complete "new" machine inside windows.
http://www.dies-irae.com/vmware.jpg

i use it for my mp3 player, for x86 assembler and matlab (which has issues with winxp).
I've had multi system for years and i think this is way the best solution. If you're doing something that requires you not to turn off your machine for hours and you HAVE to switch to w98 for something else, you'll really love vmware....

you can install everything from linux to ms-dos to winxp (yeah, you can install winxp inside winxp...), but if you need linux only for shell related stuff, i'd advise cygwin (ask if you need more info about it)

scotttygett
04-01-2003, 04:49 AM
THE SAGA CONTINUES,...

When last we joined 'scott tygett,'
he was trying to remove the XP Home operating system from his new computer, in hopes of being able to return the full functionality of five programs, lost to Windows XP.

DOWNLOADING A FLOPPY SETUP SYSTEM SUCCEEDED, but apparently the floppies do the same "XP load" as the CDs?

Still trying to eliminate XP, he presses on, though able only to run LW Demo to answer questions on CGTalk and play "Binks" to amuse himself.

In case anyone wonders about "VMWARE" above, it looks like a fine product, selling for about $300.

scotttygett
04-02-2003, 06:59 AM
WELL, HERE I AM, IN WINDOWS 98.

TRUE, THE SCREEN IS 16 COLOR DEFAULT, BUT I'VE BEEN HERE PLENTY OF TIMES BEFORE.

THE SIX FLOPPY SYSTEM DID WORK -- USING THE RESTORE/REPAIR CONSOLE O START THE PROCESS, AND THEN A WIN98 BOOT FLOPPY, AND THEN THE WIN 98 DISK.

(I SHOULD ADD THAT I EXPECTED TO "FDISK" BUT EVENTUALLY USED A "FORMAT" COMMAND, I THINK, AND A FAIR AMOUNT OF TRIAL-AND-ERROR -- I MADE-DO WITH THAT APPROACH BECAUSE I GOT A VARIETY OF DISABLED/DENIED MESSAGES ALONG THE WAY.)

WITHOUT DISPARAGING ANY OF THE FINE ADVICE I GOT ON THIS BOARD, I ALSO VISITED GOOGLE AND JEEVES, AND TRUSTED THE ADVICE OF ONE STRANGER WHO SAID THAT IF I SAW A WARNING THAT I MIGHT DAMAGE MY HARD DRIVE, TO GO AHEAD. THERE WAS SUCH A WARNING, DESPITE THE MICROSOFT DOCUMENTS TELLING ME THAT DUAL BOOT WAS FEASIBLE. A COUPLE OF TIMES THE POWER HAS COMPLETELY SHUT-OFF HARD-BOOT JUST INNOCENTLY PUSHNG A "RESTART" WHILE LOADING WIN98 PROGRAMS, BUT OTHERWISE I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS WARNING WOULD BE ABOUT.

ONE OTHER DETOUR TOOK PLACE, NOT HAVING ANYTHING TO DO WITH ALL THIS -- I LOST THE CODE NUMBER TO MY COPY OF WINDOWS. MICROSOFT IS VERY GOOD ABOUT GIVING "SPARE KEYS" APPARENTLY, AND WAITED 15 MINUTES COLLECT WHILE I LOADED THE NEW ONE. THEY ONLY DO THIS FOR YOU TWICE THOUGH.

AT THIS POINT, I HAVEN'T LOADED MOST OF THE DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE --

(UPDATE: I HAD TO RELOAD THE MAINBOARD UTILITIES AS WELL AS MOST OF THE DRIVERS...)

ONE THING I'VE NOTICED SO FAR WITH WIN 98 IS THAT THE P IV, WITH THE 40 SPEED CD-R AND THE GRAPHICS CARD -- SURE DOES BOOT UP FAST,...

dAfTiE
04-02-2003, 09:13 AM
For REMOVING XP there's no need for the XP boot disk set.
You can just head over to bootdisk.com or somewhere else that has 98 bootdisks for download,
create one,boot it,and then use fdisk to clean up/partition whatever you need,
and when you need to reboot,just stick the 98 cd in there and boot from that.
The 98 setup does not offer setup of hdd partitions tho,
you need to do that beforehand.
Pretty horrible having to go back to 98 tho...
4-day uptime and stuff...ugh :\
With 2kPro I've a record of 6 and a half months :)
And that's not a server of some kind that never does stuff,
it's my workstation and in constant use.
Anyways,good luck !

private
04-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Funny, you could just right click on the .exe file under WinXP, select properties, compatibility and then choose what OS you want to emulate. Basically you could run any program on XP under Win 95, Win 98, Win ME etc.

The fact you're ALL CAPPED UP about it is really silly.

scotttygett
04-02-2003, 10:39 AM
That's good news, that pretty much slipped my mind.

Rather than dwell on the complications, I'd rather be grateful that there IS that emulation utility, and if one absolutely must, there is a method to circumvent its shortcomings.

So, the cap's didn't add to the sense of climax? I apologize.

It seems I remember trying 98 emulation on one or two of the problem programs I was using -- are you sure it works in all cases? (There's no way for me to check this just now : I )

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.