PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Strata?

gra4mac
03-03-2003, 04:41 AM
I'm curios if anyone here is using Strata Studio pro? I used it before I got into A:M, but haven't really touched it since. Now that I know a bit more about modelling, I wonder what Strata is good for. It doesn't have splines, or nurbs, or subds. Is there anything you can do better in Strata than in A:M?

Cheers, Graham

RKanyama
03-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Wow, I have forgotten about that program. I used it once. I know there is a new version of it. Maybe you can upgrade to the new version. Go to http://strata.com/ There are some ok things in the gallery section. I think Animation Master would still be easier to make characters when and if it does not crash.
:p

WoolyLoach
03-03-2003, 06:16 PM
I've used Strata off and on since SSP 2.5 on my old (now long-gone) PowerMac G3. It's renderer is amazing - you can produce some incredible output - BUT - the modelling tools are lacking, and don't get me started about how it's pretty close to impossible to produce decent animation with the bones plugin (shudder).

If you're only doing stills, and for print, then SSP is killer. If you're doing character animation, run far far away! The bones plugin hasn't been updated for (literally) years.

If you're going to spend that much money, get Lightwave, really. Personally I'm going to wait and see how the renderer rewrite in A:M works out.

gra4mac
03-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks. I'm not thinking of buying Strata, I already have 3D Pro 3.5.1. There are many things I really liked about it, like how the camera and light controls work, and the materials editor and placement adjustment. I got A:M because I wanted to do CA, and as you say, Bones in 3DPro are lacking. What I am curious about is if anyone here still uses it and what they find it good for. One thing I kow it is good at and that is stability.

Cheers, Graham

Wegg
03-04-2003, 12:20 AM
I actually used it in production a little while back. Its great for spinning logos. . . Renders fast and clean etc. That was back before we had moved over to LW though.

Can't say I'd find much use for it now. . .

altruizine
03-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Wow... it HAS been a while since I've used it as well. I actually made your same transition a few years back...

I was using SSP since v1.5 thru 2.5.x (beta testing in 2.5) and basically for the same reasons I made the switch. Lack of modeling and ca tools.

Once I settled into it, I found A:M's texturing to be pretty damned good. But it took some major paradigm shifting to get used to it. SSPs texturing is superior for some things, but I made a clean break and moved full bore into A:M.

I've moved to Maya recently and am anxiously awaiting a good stable OS X A:M build before upgrading (which I will).

SSPs rendering engine may be superior to A:M (MAYbe) but I'd be curious about speed differences. You can tweak great things out of A:Ms engine...

Basically, I guess I'm saying that w/ some figuring, there isn't much of an advantage of SSPs texturing and rendering over A:M. So, I rarely found myself saying "man, I wish A:M was working like SSP in this situation.."

anyway.. my $.02

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.