PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Torture Chamber

Connan_Edogawa
03-03-2003, 03:29 AM
My attempt to beef up my portfolio. I tried to reak through the game job market, so I build this low poly environment using a realistic approach. it has a low poly count but I tried to provide as much realistic details as possible in this rendeirng. It as made in MAYA (Yes I just learned maya, I used to use 3d Max for YEARS but because some game caompany prefer maya I need to learn MAYA, and I started to like it)

http://home.attbi.com/~o.ludiro/dun05.jpg

Again like I netion above, I made this rendering for my portfolio piece to get a jo in games. If any of you want to hire me :) and wondering about my other work, please come to http://ludiro.up.to and browse around my portfolio.
I'm in Seattle now, ut I am free to relocate to any other area in united states.

C&C are welcome :)

lordmachuca
03-03-2003, 04:55 AM
the bump mappign on the wall is bothering me alot. the lighting could be better also. it looks like you have alot of things goign on in this scene but the lighting is making it difficult to see(could be my monitor though)

whats the poly count for the barrels and all those little knick nacks on the wall and stuff?

mohh
03-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Looks great. My only crit is the semi-fluorescent blood.

kwshipman
03-03-2003, 06:19 AM
the two beams in the top of the pic look like they havent been textured, or if they have change it to something that more matches the rest of the pic

CogsOrchish
03-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Nice work. The only problem I see is the specularity. Its a bit too high that it makes look fake. Otherwise, pretty cool.

Hellwolve
03-03-2003, 06:44 PM
My only crit is on the blood. It looks to...red. It looks like red water or something like that. It defintly does not looks like blood to me :p

mediumRare
03-03-2003, 11:21 PM
I agree about the lighting.
The scene has a lot in it which is fine but it is very confused, composition and lighting wise.
Your lightest lights and your darkest darks are in the stairway. My eye keeps going to this area because of the high contrast change. Thats not good since there really is nothing there to look at.

Its taking away from the rest of the picture.
In my opinion, you should tone down the moonlight a lot.
Make the room darker to give it more mood and add pockets or orange light from your flames.(more than just a little yellow glow on the wall).

Get rid of the artificial looking light at the top of the stairs.
Reduce your bump. Remember bump is a subtle effect and should be used that way.

Also someone commented on the specularity being too high. It is.
For example the walls, they look like they just had a coat of fresh paint (too shiny)> I would expect a lot less shiny-ness and a lot more dirt, moss, blood splatters, cracks etc etc.

I know you are probably instancing objects (skull, leg trap, barrels, bottles, flames) which is good for efficiency but you have to be careful so the viewer doesnt notice. For example, your leg traps and skulls look exactly the same in orientation. Put one skull on its side, do the same with one of the traps just to vary it up a bit. The flames really need to be varied as well.

Im being picky but a few changes can take this render from nice to really nice!

hope this helps

Solve
03-04-2003, 03:54 AM
What's the poly count on some of that stuff?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.