PDA

View Full Version : City Life

Matellis
03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone
I decided to start a new matte painting while waiting for the new challenge to start.

It is going to be a very basic matte I figure. My main goal is to be able to change the lighting in a town and city. So I have put about 3 hours into this so far , just roughing in some building at the moment and I hope to finish that tonight and start looking and adding building refs. Also the light in the plate I used has a bit different light source so I will have to go in and correct that, as well add haze to the background buildings.

Any crits would be great :D

Plate

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4886/722765950088022ew0.jpg

The Matte

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6166/thebuildingscopy3tf9.jpg

Cheers!

AnimZiggy
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
as i see it, again non proffesional advice here,

the height of those buildings in the back is a bit too much but maybe its only me...
one thing i dont like which is not your fault but its no the original picture as well is that weird shape building..with the bright lit side...
The audience always looks in the middle of the image when in the cinema...and then the sides..That personally distracts me.. maybe put the lighting down on it a bit?

keep it up the transition from day to night is great, love the colours.

u got those dvds yet? :P

Matellis
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey thanks for the quick reply!

And I agree with everything you said :)

I am actually going to take out that build with the bright lights , its way too distracting. Thou I kind of like the height of the background buildings im adding but might take them down a notch or 2. I find that most cities have a collection of tall buildings surround by smaller ones. Building like the one in the original plate.
Thanks again and I will make sure to correct the lighting problem right now!

And no dvds yet hahaha im just finalizing my list right now ,which by the way is the funnest thing I have done in a long time lol there is nothing like going on the gnomon site saying " i will take you , you , you , you and you". I'm very excited hehe :D

Cheers man!

AnimZiggy
03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
yes not much...just a bit...for the height..
as for lighting wise i only meant that one building..
keep it up..
i can imagine how it feels to choose from all this goodness...definatelly get all the matte painting ones they are excellent..

miguelslo
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
wonderful start, what would make this complete is some animation! really, i mean it.

Matellis
03-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey everyone ,

Just another little update. Started changing a few things. I am in the middle of adding buildings now. They still arnt fitting in the best so i will make sure those do before I start adding more. Also I have been adding some extra lights around , thou I dont think its very noticable.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9444/thebuildingscopy6lz3.jpg

Cheers

JJASSO
03-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi Matt well this image has some potential, but I think you need something more than just custom background skyscrapers, try to modify the foreground architecture this will for sure look more futuristic , keep it up

Matellis
03-11-2007, 04:20 AM
I agree Jaime , this just started out as trying to change the time of day in a plate then itdeveloped into a bit more so I will take your advice for this and add to the foreground.Plus this would be great practice for me since I havent really tried to attempt that before. Thanks for the honest opinion!

Cheers

AnimZiggy
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
hey... i hope you're not going to leave it, are you? it's already looking better... go and design some futuristic buidings :wise:
u could change those forgrounds by tweaking them... maybe make the first left one round or something...im sure you ll come up with something better..

btw are you going to take part to the 'pet animal' over at gnomon?

Matellis
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Ismini, oh im going to finish this for sure :D just been kinda busy and sick. I started adding some haze to the background and very basic concept buildings for the foreground. But I will post a wip once i get a bit more done:)

Nope I wont enter the new challenge but I am watching it for sure. I was thinking about entering but I dunno if I can and since I got 1st place in the last one I dunno if i should.

cheers!

yellowdog
03-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Hey Matellis,

Great start !!
The overall scale of the buildings your adding (even in your first version) do not bother me...
I agree with Jaime though that you need to work in some FG elements to help balance your piece... Maybe one or two huge buildings in the FG could put and interesting reminder of the scale of the BG ones. Also I think you need to brighten the lights at the back so that they match the FG ones... Usually if its not a foggy day they would have a tendancy to be of equal brightness.
keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Matellis
03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
hey thanks for the reply Benoit.

I will take everything you mentioned into account:D

Cheers!

Matellis
03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey everyone just thought I would post a little update.

Right now I am modeling some 3d buildings for the foreground but they are still basic shapes haha. But this is where the rest of it is so far. I have to go in and remove and add a lot of lights tonight. The perspective is off in a lot of them.Crits would be fantastic :D

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9016/thebuildingscopy13kg7.jpg

Cheers

ufukl
03-22-2007, 12:08 PM
look impressive. conratulations :thumbsup:

milanschere
03-24-2007, 04:42 PM
i don't have any crit, just a personal thingy,
i liked where it was headed with the blue better.
but it's really nice work. thank you for showing so many steps.

Matellis
03-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Hey thanks for the replies :D

Milán- I am glad you like it. The way im working on this piece I can take the red redish color out without much problem so soon when I get further I will see how it looks again with the darked blues and less red. This piece is very influenced by Blade Runner. I love how they merge the old and new environment in that movie , just amazing.

I wont have any wips for a while , having computer problems and I cant even open up photoshop. Damn I didnt realize how boring the computer is without it so i have been spending the last few days going to pubs :D nice break. I hope to get it fixed by next week and i will get crackin and post more then :D

Cheers!

monks
03-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi Matt (Matte ? ;0)
Really nice work, i like the compostion of the third picture but i prefer the ambiance of the second one, did you try to put the sky of the second picture on the last update ? and keep some blue ambiance...i think the orange/pink ambiance is little bit too present in the background.
It's just little critics and my point of view, it's a very good work.

Matellis
03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Hey thanks for the replies :D

Here is a little update. After flipping the canvas I realized that the composition was horrid so I had to do something major. So right now I am adding the lake and some billboard/neon signs etc. Got rid of the red and went back to the blue (thanks for the input on that :D) I am going to make the main focal point that strip of land close to the center so I will try and design some interesting building to put there and boats etc. Still not sure what I will do with those background buildings , I dont really like them now.

But with my next matte I will make sure to design a solid sketch before starting the matte. This isnt the best way to work , always changing stuff. Not very professional and I should know better hehe.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4653/thebuildingscopy22md9.jpg

Cheers!

JJASSO
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
much better composition, maybe you can take out that green on the background skyscrapers, turn it to yellow/orange maybe. I see some purple as well , you have some color variation but is not working to me, it should not be so strong

fermaigh
04-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Hey everyone ,

Just another little update. Started changing a few things. I am in the middle of adding buildings now. They still arnt fitting in the best so i will make sure those do before I start adding more. Also I have been adding some extra lights around , thou I dont think its very noticable.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9444/thebuildingscopy6lz3.jpg

Cheers
Hey man Done well,That's amazing!

Matellis
04-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Hey everyone ,

Just another update , Started adding a bit more detail and trying to figure out a design for the focal point building. I Figure it will be some weird looking hotel that is very active with people partying etc. So there will be lots of lights and all that goodness

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/8953/thebuildingscopy24dl2.jpg

Cheers

milanschere
04-15-2007, 12:50 PM
is your focal point building that thing in the middle?
it has a very interesting design i like.
but did you notice that it's dead center?
seems so to me.

SpetsK
04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey,
I have only one crit. The sky is great as pink but the white in it is too much.
Cheers!

Matellis
04-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Good point Milan, I know I want the focal point close to the middle but now that I look you are right. Its dead center. I will make sure to change that.

Hey Kerti , yeah the white is a bit much, I will try and see how it looks without it.

Thanks for the crits , very helpful. :D

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2007, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.