PDA

View Full Version : Comments about 3dtutorial's rendertree tute?

Mechis
03-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi!

What do you think about this tutorial from 3dtutorial?-- XSI - Advanced Rendertree Techniques Vol. 1

A few questions:
-have there been any changes to xsi that would make the material covered here obselete? I'm using v5.11... not sure what version of xsi was used to make this tute....

-does it show how to build materials? ie. here's an example of a snow material, water material, wood material... or maybe dissect already created materials?

-does it cover different material than the digital tutors' dvd? What's different?

Thanks!
~Mechis

3dtutorial
03-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi!

What do you think about this tutorial from 3dtutorial?-- XSI - Advanced Rendertree Techniques Vol. 1

A few questions:
-have there been any changes to xsi that would make the material covered here obselete? I'm using v5.11... not sure what version of xsi was used to make this tute....

-does it show how to build materials? ie. here's an example of a snow material, water material, wood material... or maybe dissect already created materials?

-does it cover different material than the digital tutors' dvd? What's different?

Thanks!
~Mechis

Hi,

The tutorial was created some time ago, to be exact 1st published December 22 2003, 1st Reissued 2006.

If I recall the series was created using XSI v3.x (I think).

Is it still applicable? Yes, of course.

What does it cover? The basic nodes and how to use them.

How does it differ from DT's -- Don't know, I never seen the series that they produced, all I can tell you is that ours was first :-)

And.... Ours was written by Alan Jones, who is a technical director and expert on the subject.

One thing that I can say is that our series is basic. It was intended to be the 1st volume in a 4 part series, each of the following volumes was to become more difficult. However the other 3 volumes were never published because of conflicts with the authors work schedule (which was a shame). In any case, it's basic but good and only 35 bucks to boot -- hard to go wrong really.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Benr
03-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I found it very useful getting the hang of the rendertree. It was definitely worth it for me.

Mechis
03-06-2007, 03:44 PM
cool. Thanks for the comments!
~Mechis

bryann
03-06-2007, 08:44 PM
It might be old but it's still completely valid. Very good tut for getting the basics of rendertree down.

ThE_JacO
03-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Alan (the author) is knowledgable and focused enough to be worth listening to I reckon.
While many things changed between xsi3 and 6, the basic ideas behind the rendertree and most of the fundamental nodes remain the same.

Don't know what you're after or what level of instruction you're in need of, but if Joe is selling it for 35 bucks then it's probably worth it.

yog
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I found the Render Tree tutorial invaluable for learning XSI.

All of it is still relevant.
It's not so much project based, more of a reference piece, which meant I kept referring back to it a lot for a long time after I started using XSI.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.