PDA

View Full Version : Exporting .obj then importing UV's.

turner
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Hello. Quite new to Mudbox (I suppose most people are):)

Can I export a low level sort out the UV's in Bodypaint then re-import that mesh/level and have the UV's sorted for a higher level?

Cheers

turner

oglu
03-06-2007, 07:42 AM
yes...
import the lowres with uv from bodypaint...
subdivide it to the same level as the highpoly (same polycount) and import the highpoly as layer...

turner
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Cheers :)

I'll try that.

turner

turner
03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
yes...
import the lowres with uv from bodypaint...
subdivide it to the same level as the highpoly (same polycount) and import the highpoly as layer...

Actually I'm confused. I tried something and it didn't work.

I have a shape with 3 levels in Mudbox
I export level 1 to bodypaint to sort out the UVs
I then import level 1 again in to the same file as an .obj or a layer?
You say import highpoly as layer, where do I get the highpoly mesh from?
To import a highpoly mesh means I have had to export a highpoly mesh in the first place?
Am I working on 2 seperate files now?

Sorry. Could you explain further?

Mmmmmm.

turner

Airflow
03-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Import lv1 mesh from bp into new scene, sub d it to level 3 export... then import it into your original scene as layer.

turner
03-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, I must be doing something totally wrong as it doesn't work.

I get an error saying the poly count must be the same.

I'll keep trying.

JBoskma
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
When I have to alter or create UV's for a model, this is the way I do it:

- Export the lowest level of your model as an obj file from Mudbox.
- Unwrap / edit UV's for this, make sure not to cut your model into pieces, unless you're
using software such as uvlayout. Changing the vertex order, will mess up the re-importing.
- Export a new obj with UV's
- Import this obj into mudbox, lowest level.
- Goto Mesh -> Recreate Level UV's

This works fine, good luck!

LouisBrowne
03-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Does it still work if there is more than the object your UV'ing in the seen?
thx

pnoland
03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
It should work with multiple objects I believe, as long as you select each object in the object viewer panel and do it to each? I have not tried this yet so please correct me if I'm wrong.

martinsdesign
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
If I understand you correctly...

you took an .obj into MB and worked it over; you really lie what you have in Mudbox at this time. Something is wrong with the UVs and you can't extract the displacement maps for your model.

all is not lost, but I consider this one of the more esoteric and advanced procedures in MB and there is a low success rate for me this way.

Export high rez mesh, do not export UVs. save as .bio

Clear scene.

Open low rez mesh that has nice clean UVs. This model should look very much like a low rez version of the high rez thing. You can try things that don't match for fun I guess though.

Do bake procedure and instead of choosing the Hi rez mesh from the dropdown, select the hi-rez one you saved earlier. Mudbox will try to retopologize the High rez mesh to the lowrez mesh via proximity, relative to the generation of a displacement map. Pretty cool if you think about it

Complete bake and cross your fingers.

LouisBrowne
04-18-2007, 02:02 AM
When I have to alter or create UV's for a model, this is the way I do it:

- Export the lowest level of your model as an obj file from Mudbox.
- Unwrap / edit UV's for this, make sure not to cut your model into pieces, unless you're
using software such as uvlayout. Changing the vertex order, will mess up the re-importing.
- Export a new obj with UV's
- Import this obj into mudbox, lowest level.
- Goto Mesh -> Recreate Level UV's

This works fine, good luck!

When I import My .Obj file into Mudbox as a new layer, In the "Impoting Options" Dialog Under, "Matchby" Do I choose, Vertex ID, or ,UV Position?...

The UV Position option, seem to crash everytime! Vertex ID seems to work, though there is no change in the Uv's ater pressing Recreate Uv's.
Please help, thanks.

martinsdesign
04-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't import as a layer, I just use the open command. No questions from the interface for me that way.

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2007, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.