PDA

View Full Version : Nichelle Nichols/uhura, Terryford (3D)

terryford
03-02-2003, 07:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7746/Uhura_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7746/Uhura.jpg)

My latest effort with LightWave, sas hair, spinning lights for fuzzy shadows. Some post Photoshop tickle;

Regards,
Terry

spr0g
03-02-2003, 07:43 PM
I see who you are trying to create.... so thats a good start, only thing is... I thought she was a bit... slimmer than that? she seems a bit beefy imo... but v.nice modelling :D

erwin1978
03-02-2003, 09:19 PM
the skirt is way too short, even for Captain Kirk

her *beep* would show if she bends slightly:surprised

terryford
03-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Too short? Maybe, but then it's not my design;

http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/gif/UhuraRef.jpg

Looks to me like they gave her a dress 2 sizes too small. :)

Regards,
Terry

scarrow
03-02-2003, 10:00 PM
I think it looks great. Very accurate. The one thing that stands out as being different between the reference image and your image is her badge. In fact, looking at it again it looks like all of your gold trim isn't reflecting enough light. It's an amazing likeness though.

phoenix2k
03-02-2003, 10:02 PM
at first i would have said her legs were too fat, but after looking at the real pic...

nope... --> very accurate... well done :) :thumbsup:

Ionized
03-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Lovely work, that baby has got some serious back.

I especially like the face and costume, she's got that disco loving Uhura feel about her.

The trimming around the wrists seems too neat though. If I remember correctly, the costumes in original slowly degraded over the course of the season and ended up all wrinkled and crappy by the end, like they got shrunk in the wash or something.

terryford
03-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Alternate view, different camera focal length and lighting change;

http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/gif/gallery/Uhura2.jpg

Regards,
Terry

Titan
03-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Beautiful work man..I love it! great likeness!

and i love the short skirts....adds a certain naughtyness to it..even for the 60's;)

I do agree that the gold needs to look a bit more shiny and bright..

you gonna do any more characters?

actually as I recall , the first head I ever attempted to create for my portfolio class was Leonard Nemoy as classic spock...but it didnt come out half as accurate as yours....

again
great job

Meshweaver
03-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Excellent work again Terry - your character work is spot on as usual! :)

WillJohn
03-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Why doesnt this have a star rating? i think the likeness is GREAT and a bit stylized, the lighting in the background is pretty real /textures ect..

-Will

ScottJenkins
03-03-2003, 04:21 AM
It's not that she's fat, it's that the image was taken from an NTSC television image -- that has a 0.9 pixel image aspect ratio, meaning, it's a little taller than it is wide. When translated to a square pixel image, you get her exactly 10% too wide.
Try rendering out at a non-square pixel aspect ratio and it may save you time re-modeling.
Besides that, great work. And I believe Cap'n Kirk required all skirts to be at that length. If I were Kirk, I'd do the same.

FallenSwordsman
03-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Fantastic piece of work! Great character and great bridge behind her! Well done :applause:

enoxa
03-03-2003, 08:54 AM
very nice. I like it a lot. Id like to see her animated. Can you make us my favorite character Mr Spock?

Matt
03-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Someone give this the CGTalk award.

It looks near perfect. I'd say make the starfleet insignia and rank more shiny, and it'd be perfect!

Matt
03-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Oh and did you make that bridge as well? Is it the whole thing or only a section? You should see some of the stuff a guy named SeanR has made.

Gotham
03-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Character is great.

tpe
03-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Ohh brilliant, love it, she was a bit podgy too, but hell she had the only brests on the bridge and this makes me feel all gooie inside:) Ohh monday nights, oops sorry reminissing, but the pic is great and it brought it all flooding back. I can just here it now the boys on the bridge "Its life Jim but not as we know it".

Thanks for posting

tpe

Chagidiel
03-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Excelent model... by apparently excelent modeling! Good job! And you show off a masterful weilding of sasquatch! The hair is perfect!

I am no trecker-geek (I am a geek though, so no offence intended :wavey: ) so I canīt tell on the accuracy from the "original". Telling from the ref-pic though, I can see you have done something sligthly not correct in the shading of her face. I suggest you increase glossines somewhat and decrease specularity slightly. It kinda looks like her face is of the same material as the pantyhose... and she doesnīt wear that on her head, does she?

terryford
03-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Matt: The bridge is just a wall section (actualy 2 - I just rotated it) and the door. I tried having an enclosed bridge for a radiosity version but all those glowing buttons were killing my CPU.

As for her proportions, I'm fairly confident that they're about right. It's from the 60s remember, before anorexia became fashionable in the media :)

Wireframe:
http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/gif/gallery/Uhura2wf.jpg

Regards,
Terry

slaughters
03-03-2003, 12:41 PM
"...adds a certain naughtyness to it..even for the 60's"

Heh, heh. "Even for the 60's" ? That's pretty funny.

Mini-skirts, hot pants, and leather boots. You had to a love a TV show which required all three for it's women actors.

My comment is that there seems to be something a little off in the face. It's a little too shiny. Maybe vary the spec value a little, limiting it to the lips and nose.

stephen2002
03-03-2003, 01:12 PM
looks great to me!

Xform
03-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Very nice work! Love the modeling and lightning..:thumbsup:

spr0g
03-03-2003, 01:58 PM
looking at the reference.... she really did have quite wide legs and hips... my mistake before.

v.accurate and the likeness is v.good :D
nice one:bounce:

ClingFree
03-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Wow, that is terrific. The SAS setting look really good too. Great job! So how do you create your SAS guides?

proton
03-03-2003, 02:17 PM
LW gallery material for sure:

gallery@lightwave3d.com

UserDelta
03-03-2003, 02:38 PM
inspirational work as usual :)
and great choice of character too. wish i thought of that myself :D

xyth
03-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Hiya,

That's just so sweet! Amazing work, really nice!

Some comments though (imho):
- the shiny golden parts are not as shiny as they should be
- her skin is more yellow than brown on cg pic, however the reference is more brownish. Maybe it is just the high specularity...?

I've checked your site also. As I see very soon you'll have problems to develop your modelling skills, if you know what I mean... ;)

Keep it up!
-xyth

Novadesigns
03-03-2003, 03:25 PM
WOW! I am super impressed! After seeing so much Star Trek starship art, this is a real treat. (especially being that I'm one of those starship-only artists ;))

Hey you should send a print out of this to Nichelle Nichols. I bet you'd seriously make her day! :)

Great job!

MrBraun
03-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Great model !!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

mattc
03-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Terry,

That is just pure class. :)

Regards
Matt

Julez4001
03-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Once again, Terry ...you put the art in CG.
Lets see..checklist: White girl, Asian girl and now Black girl. You should make a picture with all three of them.

Your girl looks more "real" because they are not "flockhart-30 lbs " girls with balloon breast (hey I am guilty of it myself). Great work...Modeling is just excellent.

Do you model your characters into position or use bones.

draconix
03-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Beautiful work :thumbsup:

You might consider toning down the spec on the face though. It looks a bit bright compared to the pic.

SCIFI-3D-zoo
03-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Yea. I think it's really very good. If not perfect then as close as possible. You have character work down pat.

Maybe someday you'll allow people to use them for animations or fan-film work, etc. ?? : > The Grand Moff Tarkin on your website is very very good too. :drool:

AVTPro
03-03-2003, 05:23 PM
It's great! She's what we call "Thick boned" Definitely a hottie with the skirt. Even in the later StarTrack movies they pumped up her sexuality. and she was up there in age.

However, the reference photo seems distorted to me. Maybe a video grab with rectangle pixel pulling into computer square pixels. This always bothers me about most of the consumer televisions, big screen and the like. I don't know how people watch a distorted image, or moreso how manufacturers can sell them. Oh...where was I?

Anyway, looks like you compensated in your work. Nice.

Also, from the reference, how did you get her face so well? It's not a flat plan.

Keep up the good work.

terryford
03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
I had lots of reference pics from the 'net (most were too small, fuzzy or distorted to be much use). I just posted that one to illustrate the skirt length, it wasn't my primary reference. Skin tone and specular were tricky to settle on, I have screen grabs where she has very dark skin and some with very light skin, some powder dry and some shiny. I settled for low spec and medium dark skin tone :shrug:.

ClingFree: Hair guides were rail extruded splines in three forms; fringe, main hair mass, and a pair of wierd squiggle forms that are styled from the front of her hair (as seen in the "tribbles" episode :)). Converted to poly chains with CurveToPolychain, jittered and tweeked with the magnet tool.

Julez4001: Neutral position model, posed with bones. very restrained use of weightmaps; arms, legs, torso, head, odd fingers, even fingers. :) No left/right weights - bone falloff takes care of that.

Regards,
Terry

Berserker
03-03-2003, 07:00 PM
what a babe
:drool:

looks like the ref to me, great job!

dark_lotus
03-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Impressive. Most Impressive.

Heh! How could I resist using a Star Wars Quote eh!?

Great Stuff!

coupon
03-03-2003, 07:51 PM
nice one bro,:thumbsup: could you explain more about the spinning lights for fuzzy shadows comment, as i've never come across it. :)

terryford
03-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Spinning lights technique; I'm not sure if it's applicable to other software, I think it exploits some unique features of LightWave's renderer. This is the first time I've tried it.

In short it's a way to make shadows more realistically blurred as they are further away from the shadow casting object. Like area lights, but much faster to render.

The technique is described fully by Dave Jerrard here;
http://members.shaw.ca/phroggrafix/tutorials/spinning/spinning.html

Regards,
Terry

ClingFree
03-03-2003, 09:35 PM
I remember the tribbles.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Terry. She really does look fantastic.

Julez4001
03-03-2003, 10:12 PM
TerryFord ...don't forget to put all your girls in one single picture.:love:

You done the spectrum..U gotta do it...its a classic setup....

CADster
03-03-2003, 10:17 PM
simply great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post a new pic so we can see what she is wearing under the dress (maybe one with her picking up her tricorder :drool: )

:D

terryford
03-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001
TerryFord ...don't forget to put all your girls in one single picture.:love:

Actually I was planning to do that with variations on the goth costume in red, white and black. But I went off the idea :D

Regards,
Terry

Matt
03-04-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by dark_lotus
Heh! How could I resist using a Star Wars Quote eh!?

Star Wars is a quote of Star Trek. "Oh no they're firing proton torpedoes at us! I think we're being pulled in by some tractorbeam!"...

More renders please!

necron99
03-04-2003, 12:48 AM
flippin' kick butt, man - great idea great execution. up and over the bar IMHO.

:airguitar

Blair
03-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Beam me aboard captain, nice stuff indeed.

Bapsis
03-04-2003, 07:42 AM
Wow, awesome job, you really captured the look of Nichelle as well as the feel of the original set, great work!!! ;)
My only crit would be her starfleet symbol on her chest seems too dull, and not shiney like the one in the pic and series. Other than that, brilliant!!! ;)

Matt

Ultimatebadass
03-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Yay! Star trek!! :D

JacquesD
03-04-2003, 08:49 AM
I like it... really.

Keep on. :)

lildragon
03-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Very very sexy indeed, you captured her very nicely, its near perfect! I can't really crit on anything other than the fact that she was one *cough* well you know :rolleyes: heheh

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very good work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

terryford
03-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Argh! again with the badge shinyness :) I guess the reflection is hitting a dark part of the reflection map or background. Maybe if I change the relection map image...

I'll try to do a seated pose. If I don't post it here you'll know that the rig wasn't up to it. :)

Regards,
Terry

Julez4001
03-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by terryford
Actually I was planning to do that with variations on the goth costume in red, white and black. But I went off the idea :D

Regards,
Terry

sniff...snifff
U not gonna do it...awwwwww man
man i feel like a teen again

xyth
03-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Everyone agrees on the brilliant character, but the only crit is on the badge... hmm, things are becoming serious... ;)

As I see you've got a golden piece from lildragon. "Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like!" -> as a reflection map for the badge??? :D

-xyth

Admiral_Clow
03-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Very nice. She looks lost in thought.
Always my fav of the original 3 (Uhura, Rand and Chapel)

DKMNZ
07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
full cred on subject matter. nerdy, but in a more respectable way.

super full cred on not giving her a 21st century body, sexy was different in the 60's.

super-duper full cred on the work itself.

JehutyVer2
09-19-2004, 06:05 AM
I'm a fan of Trek myself and I think you did a really great job. She looks stunning.

Gamter-ZX
10-12-2004, 11:11 AM
very nice. I like it a lot. Id like to see her animated. Can you make us my favorite character Mr Spock?o,I agree.wow !HO

!K!ZS
01-19-2005, 03:49 PM
It's not that she's fat, it's that the image was taken from an NTSC television image -- that has a 0.9 pixel image aspect ratio, meaning, it's a little taller than it is wide. When translated to a square pixel image, you get her exactly 10% too wide.

Hey thans for the info! This is interesting :) I always wondered why is she so fat... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.