PDA

View Full Version : Setting up max influences in xsi?

S-m-i-l-e
03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm trying xsi (I'm a maya user), I need to be sure when enveloping that I'm not passing a certain number of influences per vertice, how can I do this? in maya right before doing the binding we get some options like setting up the max influences and if we want to maintain the max influences, after this I'm certain that I'm not breaking any influences limit and then I can go and tweak everything by myself, how can I do this or something similar in xsi?

Thanks in advance.

Tekano
03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
hello s-m-i-l-e

have you actually tried enveloping something in XSI yet? Only this is the first option that comes up when you assign a mesh to bones. its called 'number of skeleton objects' and does exactly that - assign the maximum number of bones per vertex

grahamef
03-05-2007, 05:06 PM
The option available when you initially assign the envelope affects only the default initial weighting. It's possible to exceed this number when you start editing weights.

The option that limits the number of deformers is Enforce Limit in the Weight Editor. Enter a number and any points that exceed it are shown in yellow. Click Enforce Limit and they'll get fixed. Only available since v6.

S-m-i-l-e
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
:blush: my bad... thanks guys, Tekano - yes, I did the enveloping but since I'm new to xsi when the option "number of skeleton objects" appeared I left it as default, I never thought it was that! After some search (and answering to grahamef) I was looking for that option "enforce limit" but after talking with some guys and checking out some xsi v6.0 pdf's, I guess that option only came out in this last version of the soft and I'm using v5.11.

anyway, thanks guys, it was really helpful. :thumbsup:

Mathaeus
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Before V6, I've used script called 'limit envelope deformers', from local netview (menu>view>general>netview). It doing just what you need. However, there are others nice eneveloping/rigging/animating options in V6, so you should trying v6 :)

S-m-i-l-e
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
avm3 - thanks for the advice, I'll try that, anyway, we're going to purchase about 4 xsi licenses until the end of this week, so, hopefully somewhere around next week we'll be using v6 :) I'm still "green" on some of the xsi workflow options but I'll get there, until now, seems to be an awesome application! One more time, tks guys, I'll be around... (probably needing help!) :D

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.