PDA

View Full Version : VRML Lighting

wodagone
03-05-2007, 03:05 PM
does anyone know if its possible to fake volumetric light effects in vrml world ( maybe using java or any other language , i know nothing about these but know you can do some fancy tricks with java such as reflections etc ).

im am working on a real time pre viz to demonstrate set design and placement for tv and stage/lighting production co. I would really like to simulate the various lighting effects possible ie coloured lighting with visible beams such as seen when smoke is used. Like a
stage lighting setup.

I thought about using a gaming engine or blenders realtime abilities but need to keep it as simple for client to use as poss.

Any suggestions using any form of "cheat" or scripting possibility would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dan

Ian Jones
03-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Sprite it. Get a basic primitive, cylinder or even just a plane (maybe two in an x formation) and apply a transparent texture with a gradient to simulate falloff / attentuation. Hopefully VRML would allow additive texture blending too?

christianS
03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi

I did visible light spots using a cone and an .png-map with varying color/alpha. Looked pretty good, but you can not tweak it very much with vrml-standard material. However, using a vrml-player with shader-extensions (bitmanagement contact might be the best for that) you should be able to create the needed effect. You could also try the multimaterial-extensions by bitmanangement. Using the compositeTexture3D-node you can even compute shadowmaps. Applied to the cone you could fake volumetrics to some extent i guess.

chris

wodagone
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
great thanks a lot Bitmanagment app looks great . Will download demo and try.
I have found this page via google. Can anybody tell if it is any use as a possability. I know nothing at all about codeing or languages.

http://hvl.cs.gsu.edu/research_projects/cgr.html

GPU-based Volumetric Lighting Simulation

Ying Zhu, G. Scott Owen, Feng Liu, and Anthony Aquilio

In this project, we developed a new real-time volumetric lighting algorithm that calculates light scattering and attenuation on a per-pixel basis. The main part of the algorithm is implemented in a fragment shader and therefore takes full advantage of the powerful Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). The algorithm can generate high quality volumetric lighting effects and run at real-time or near real-time frame rates.

Thanks a lot, Dan

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.