PDA

View Full Version : transferring animation from Maya to Xsi

Jinian
03-05-2007, 09:26 AM
I am unaware of the new features of Xsi since 4.0, i'd like to know if there is now a possible way you can transfer animations or rigs with animation from Maya to Xsi. Also, is it possible to transfer ik constraints with animation in them from Maya to Xsi? After the transfer, can anyone recommend anything on how to possibly apply the rigs and animation from Maya to the rigs in Xsi?

I know this sounds pretty demanding, but i have loaded mocapped animation rigs from maya into Xsi using a skeleton loader before. Xsi was able to read the animation and load the rigs in, but i had to constrain nulls into the joints with animation that came from maya, and then constrain the joints in xsi to those same nulls just to make the animation work on my model. I hope in today's standards, there are simpler and more effective ways of working with transferring animation work from maya to xsi.

Many thanks.

LemonNado
03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
There is a new component in V6 which allows exchange through the .xsi file format from Maya. I saw a life demo and that looked really good.
Cheers
Rainer

Jinian
03-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Do you know anywhere i can get that live demo from?

JDex
03-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that he means it was a "live" demo... as in he was there in person to see it. I haven't seen any videos posted on this particular workflow. http://www.softimage.com does have some promotional videos on Crosswalk (the .xsi tool for Maya and Max) and Motor/Gator may also come in handy if you use .fbx as a go-between. Again, see all the videos at Soft's site.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2007, 12:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.