PDA

View Full Version : transfering animation from maya to xsi

Jinian
03-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I am unaware of the new features of Xsi since 4.0, i'd like to know if there is now a possible way you can transfer animations or rigs with animation from Maya to Xsi. Also, is it possible to transfer ik constraints with animation in them from Maya to Xsi? After the transfer, can anyone recommend anything on how to possibly apply the rigs and animation from Maya to the rigs in Xsi?

I know this sounds pretty demanding, but i have loaded mocapped animation rigs from maya into Xsi using a skeleton loader before. Xsi was able to read the animation and load the rigs in, but i had to constrain nulls into the joints with animation that came from maya, and then constrain the joints in xsi to those same nulls just to make the animation work on my model. I hope in today's standards, there are simpler and more effective ways of working with transferring animation work from maya to xsi.

Many thanks.

BoostAbuse
03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Currently right now XSI 6 is supporting a multitude of ways to transfer data between applications. For the most part you can generally use Collada nowadays (it's come quite a ways since it's early inception in being able to handle a ton of cross-platform work) and also look into using the FBX file export/import utility. FBX will generally create the nulls for you and transfer over your keyframes, it should also assure that everything transfers accordingly. Give them both a shot, you might find a few hiccups though with constraints and other proprietary data (maya and xsi have different ways of handling certain rig pieces).

-s

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.