PDA

View Full Version : dual proscessor on xsi

H A D E S
03-29-2002, 08:25 PM
l got a dual 1 gig and and l wabt to know why xsi dont use the 2 proscessor and there is a way to activate this
thx
H A D E S

Atyss
03-30-2002, 09:05 AM
By default, under normal conditions XSI uses both processors.

Bernard Lebel

H A D E S
03-30-2002, 07:10 PM
this is the problem l am not on normal condition

Atyss
03-30-2002, 11:05 PM
@@@@
l am not on normal condition
@@@@

????

You can try this: open the User Tools (Start > Programs > Softimage Products > XSI > User Tools), open the ray3hosts file, and type the following:

yourmachinename:mentalrayportnumber -threads numberofcpus

It should give you something like this:

mymachine:7004 -threads 2

You can add all the available machines on the network this way, resulting in somehting like this:

mymachine:7004 -threads 2
anothermachine:7004 -threads 2
andanothermachine:7004 -threads 1
yetanothermachine:7004 -threads 2
etc...

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

H A D E S
03-30-2002, 11:43 PM
thx for the hint man

H A D E S
03-31-2002, 01:36 AM
Is 7004 is the default port number for Ray3?

Atyss
03-31-2002, 01:58 AM
Not necessarily. It usually ranges from 7002 to 7006.
To find out wich port mental ray uses, go in this folder:

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\

You should have a file named SERVICES.

Open this file with WordPad, and scroll to the bottom. Find the following line:

mi-ray3xsi2_0 7006/tcp

In this case, 7006 is the port, yours might be different.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 01:03 AM
hmm, mine still doesn't seem to work. I found my port number as 7003 through the way Atyss stated. My computer name is "god" =), however after putting in god:7003 -threads 2 and rendering a file that took awhile so I could actually see the little whie boxes I still only had one.

If I had an "interesting" copy of XSI would it not enable the 2 cpus no matter what? That'd be a pretty big bummer after having just built this computer for that purpose.

Tellerve

H A D E S
04-01-2002, 06:09 AM
this is the same thing for me l found my prt and he seems dont work with maya he use m dual prossescor but xsi not
if there any ways to fix that
please help

liquid_tension
04-01-2002, 06:42 AM
Hey I have the same problem, I notice how at school it renders like by chunks because there are two different white boxes rendering but at home it still renders from the center to outside and i can see how in the task manager of windows only one proccesor is being used and Maya is working properly using both, i tried too the user tool writing the port and everything but still not working

Atyss
04-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Well the only thing I can suggest you for now is to contact the Softimage support staff:

support@Softimage.COM

Bernard Lebel

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 08:14 AM
Well shoot, I don't think I'll be doing that...I guess I'll just keep trying...grr, so annoying.

Tellerve

Atyss
04-01-2002, 08:19 AM
Dont't get me wrong, there was nothing mischievous in my post!

I won't elaborate on use of c**cks (I'm absolutely neutral regarding their use), but hey, if you want your software to work, well....... :-)

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 08:29 AM
well I don't have the money to go and err "re-buy" xsi after dumping my money into a duallie amd setup. So I'll be pretty dang bummed if I can't get this to work as XSI was the sole reason for me to go dual (apart from the fact I thought it would be cool.) But XSI is what sent me over the edge. Makes my stomach start to hurt thinking I won't be able to render with both processors actually...uhh *going to get some milk*

Tellerve

liquid_tension
04-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Yea i totally agree with Tellereve, Im a student at the momment so ofcourse i cant afford any program of this kinds, ofcourse when im done learning and i can get a job doing 3d then i can buy it but there must be a way to fix that problem

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 11:25 AM
I'll ask tomorrow at school but I don't think anyone will be able to answer it sadly. MAN! grrr, I think I'll not tell my friends I can't render with both processors because they'll ridicule me to no end after having purchased them. Ugh!

Tellerve

liquid_tension
04-01-2002, 12:10 PM
Yea I doubt they will be able to help you at school, yea my XSI teacher is the Demo guy of XSI, he works for Softimage but he has been in france for the last months doing work there and still I dont think he could help, might be a problem with not being a licensed version. well man you can always use Maya, that one uses both proccesors without a problem but if you find a way to get it to work let us know please

H A D E S
04-01-2002, 07:24 PM
me l got something that might be help but l dont know where to put that someone said in the usertool that dont work for him but when he write mymachine:7003 -threads 2 in a notepad he said that works nowhere they said where to put the notepad if l found the way l tell you guys l want this to work well

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 08:02 PM
No that doesn't work, I tried it and sadly no. It is actually how to do distributive rendering on multiple computers. I looked at a duallie at school that had a legal copy of XSI and it didn't have anything in that file, yet it had two rendering boxes.

I talked to another of my professors and I think the only thing to do is to get the educational version.

Tellerve

H A D E S
04-01-2002, 09:33 PM
thats work because l got 2 friend thats working for them land they only put the name of her comnputer in the usertool
ll try to install again xsi to see what l can do but thats work ll see it with my own eyes

liquid_tension
04-01-2002, 10:50 PM
there might be some way to do it, anyways I already ordered the educational version like a month or more ago and havent got it yet, but it is weird there has to be a way to make it work with this version, I even have a friend who swears when he first installed it it worked and after some days it stopped doing, now that is odd but who knows I didnt see it with my own eyes.

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 11:04 PM
Ok Hades, if you got it to work then god bless ya but I couldn't. I put the "thread" thing in it and it didn't work. I checked at school on a computer that was a dual processor computer and it was using both processors to render (two white boxes) and he didn't have any little .txt file or changes in his ray3host file.

If you have found the missing link to the puzzle I'm sure a lot of people would like to know how you did it.

Tellerve

liquid_tension
04-01-2002, 11:21 PM
hey tellereve i dont know if this could be the problem but I checked in the user tools you know where it says installation log at the bottom it says Warning: SPM_HOST system variable was not set correctly. Maybe thats is why!!! but i have now clue what the SPM host is do you???

Tellerve
04-01-2002, 11:44 PM
mine originally said that, but I've actually now gotten it to be fine and dandly and not give me that message. When you install XSI there is a point after you set up ports I believe where it asks you about SMP or something like that. At any rate I put in my computers name and ran the test. The test wasn't able to connect or do something, but I clicked on the add button anyways. Well after that when I started in the log file I didn't have that error you mentioned.

Sorry man, but that isn't it =(. I sooo want my dual amd processors to start churnin' on some final gathering love.

Tellerve

H A D E S
04-01-2002, 11:51 PM
hey guys l resolve the problem l render with my 2 prossbut l dont know if it safe to said here what is the answer if it safe tell me and lput it there of leave your e_mail and l contact you
thats work l see it with my owns eye
H A D E S

liquid_tension
04-02-2002, 12:03 AM
hey i dont think there is any problem with telling how to fix it, there are lots and lots of people with this problem and wondering how to fix it but if you want just email me please to ynwie_malmsteen@hotmail.com

H A D E S
04-02-2002, 12:15 AM
ok you must get the paradox patch and put it in C:\Softimage\XSI_2.0.1\Application\bin
and when the patch is there run it just hit aply and there here we go you got your things works well

liquid_tension
04-02-2002, 12:29 AM
so but where do you find the paradox patch

H A D E S
04-02-2002, 12:37 AM
check in your mail l hope that help you a lot
H A D E S

Tellerve
04-02-2002, 05:16 AM
david_craig_alonso@hotmail.com

I'd like some email from ya HADES. Or just send me the link to where I can find it myself.

thanks a bunch,

Tellerve

Lesen*
04-02-2002, 05:02 PM
If you only KNEW to POWER of the darkside........

Darth Vader (1980)

Nice one HADES...Someone HAD to do it.

Lesen

Tellerve
04-02-2002, 11:06 PM
hehe, of course he had to...the power had to be unleashed...just had to!

Thanks for unleashing the power =). Yeah! the dark side, *goes skipping off into the dark to render some more*

Tellerve

liquid_tension
04-03-2002, 05:44 AM
There is something weird about this patch, since the beggining I said it , its funny how it takes time before starting to render and then does it super fast like it it was rendering from the beggining but not showing the progress, thats not the way the ones at school work. and now a friend intalled the patch on his pc which has only one proccesor and his computer is rendering with two white boxes two which doesnt makes sense. isnt this faking something?????

Lesen*
04-03-2002, 05:51 AM
All i have to say is, whatever the way its rendering, the important is that XSI now takes the 2 processors to render....

But you're right, it is really taking alot of time to start
and then it start to render super fast...

But it renders @ 100%...

Lesen

liquid_tension
04-03-2002, 06:01 AM
yea but the thing that makes me doubt is that in all those seconds it takes to start rendering in the end is it really rendering twice faster than before???? i cannot check now cuz i dont know how to desactivate the patch and besides how come a computer with one proccesor now renders this way too

Tellerve
04-03-2002, 08:24 AM
Yeah I have to worry about that as well, seems a bit odd. As you and I said it just seems really really weird. I'll be reinstalling my OS soon so maybe I'll make some tests and see what is up. I just don't want to believe it is messed up, even though it seems odd.

Well as has been said already but it definetely uses both cpus during the render, I sat and watched the task manager and the graphs for both cpus rose up to 50% then started peaking and then went to 100% really quickly, just then it showed up in the render view and as we all know was done almost instantly.

Tellerve

liquid_tension
04-03-2002, 10:24 AM
yes Tellerve that is exactly how mine works, I see the graphic go instantly to 100 % and before i saw how it was only 50 % meaning it was using one proccesor, but yea it will be good if you can do some tests to measure the time it takes before and after the patch, please let us know when you do the tests.

Tellerve
04-06-2002, 10:39 AM
just a slight update as I got 2.02 on my computer and still have 2.01 but 2.01 is "using" dual and 2.02 isn't so far. Well a really arbitrary test was to bring up the Ocean scene in the samples folder and render it. It took about 45~50 seconds I'd say about in 2.02 with one processor. In 2.01 while it seemed to take a bit longer it was closer to around ~30 seconds. Sorry for not having anything more concrete. This weekend i'm going kayaking otherwise I'd do some better timing and such.

Tellerve

y2mii
04-06-2002, 11:24 AM
where can I get the patch to fix dual cpu problem?:confused:

Tellerve
04-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Ask one of us from this thread, and email us and we'll talk. I have a feeling any of them would be willing to help you out.

Tellerve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.