PDA

View Full Version : Rendergarden setup

nuke
03-02-2003, 11:41 AM
We are planning to built a rendergarden that includes 3 machines (for a start because the budget limitations). One machine could have AMD-based dual processors with decent memory and hard disk space. That makes 6 processor units for our Mental Ray licences (we use Mayas and XSIs and they include a few extra rendering licences). For rendering administration we will perhaps use Muster (it supports our 3D apps).

Now I would like to have opinions for hardware setup that have the best price/performance ratio. What kind of motherboard to choose, how about power supply, how to connect them, reliability issues, have I forgot something important etc. a lot of questions spinning in my mind ... :hmm:

I wish to have answers from experienced folks who have setup renderfarms before.

Thank you in advance.

dvornik
03-03-2003, 12:19 AM
I would like to join this question. We're setting up a renderfarm over here and while we know how to make it work for max (thanks, elvis) we are not very sure about maya.

As far as hardware and network go elvis's 3ds max setup should be also good for other renderfarms, it's described in much detail in the following thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46236

Personally I'm very interested in how Maya renderfarm using Muster or Smedge could coexist with max's backburner farm. Also, any recommendations for 3rd party renderers that would work in this situation are appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.