PDA

View Full Version : Masking Problem!

MissOptimist
03-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Hi,
This is what I do everytime I mask an object. For example, we have a picture of a zephryhills bottle on the table, in the living room. The only thing I need from the scene is the zephryhills bottle. So I paint the bottle itself, select inverse and drag the object to the transparent canvas... (I thought everytime was going fine) BUT THERE I SEE THE BOTTLE ALL TRANSPARENT WHEN I WANT IT 100% OPAQUE!! (I mean I made sure when I painted on the bottle, that the brush was set to 100% opacity/100% flow, so I just do not know what the problem was....the bottle would look opaque though when it is dragged to a WHITE canvas, but NOT on a transparent one(<<which is the type I need for Adobe AfterEffects)
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! :sad: :sad:

Gene Williams
03-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Kind of confusing isn't it.
(1) First thing is to use as you are the quick mask...I'm assuming..
(2) then maske a selection of the mask by control cllicking in channels pallett on the
mask icon....that makes the selection
(3) Click on "save selection as channel" at bottom of pallett...now there is an alpha mask

(4) Click on alpha icon and invert the mask and you can drag your selection into its new
home.

Hope that makes sense, basicaly you must make an alpha channel to work with.
Actually Lynda.com has some free videos in the Photoshop CS2 section on Channels
and masks that are excellent.

Gene

Damselfly
03-04-2007, 03:37 AM
If you run through these steps exactly your bottle should be opaque when you drag it to the new transparent canvas:

Double click on the quick mask icon in the palette. There you can change your settings so that the area you paint will become the area selected. Just eliminates the need to invert the selection all the time.

Go into Quick Mask. Paint your bottle with a hard-edged brush (100% opacity and flow). Hit Q on your keyboard to turn it into a selection. (Make sure you've put all feathering options back to 0, before you make the selection so it doesn't mess up the crispness of the image).

Control/Command-J to copy the selected area onto a layer by itself.

Drag the new layer onto the transparent canvas.

Your bottle should be totally opaque.

BlueFlare
03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Care to share with me why you post the same question 3 times under two nick names? :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.