PDA

View Full Version : MB Actor to Character Mapping

sdyer23
03-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the mapping from Actor to character in MB. I am going to map some data to a character that has very little to do with similiar proportions with my person that I captured with. For this character, are there and special things I need to set him up with before I map the actor to that character.

also when setting up the character's rig, what special considerations do I need to take into account as well? Thanks.

-Scott

mkapfhammer
03-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Can you post a screen shot of the character and the mapped actor in a t-pose?

sdyer23
03-04-2007, 04:18 PM
mkapfhammer,

Thanks for replying. Well the character I'm going to use is Garfield (with his proportions, the only change would be the five fingers.) and of course my Actor is a man of average height and a pretty good build. What I'd like to know is more of a general procedure and guidelines to look for when I map actors to any character. Any help with this would be great. Sadly I can't provide a screenshot because I'm not at the proper computer with the data.

-Tux

mkapfhammer
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm going to assume that you mean the cartoon character.

To start, check the MBuilder help files and the tutorials on Autodesk's Area.com (they're very good).

You'll need to play aroudn with the reach/pull settings in the character controls as well as those in the Character Settings tab. Looke for the sections labeled: retargeting and floor contacts. With large proportional differences, you'll probably need to key in offsets with the layers or the Story Tab.

Is that what you were looking for?

sdyer23
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
mkapfhammer,

Thanks for the advice so far. I've never mapped an Actor to a character before so any help would be appreciated at this point. As I start to play around with the process I'll porbably have more questions. I did want to ask about the rig setup for the character though. the different joint names in MB's hierarchy(leftLegRoll etc.) do they have to be placed in a specific area? or do they just have to be there when I characterize the biped? Thanks in advance.

-Scott

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.