PDA

View Full Version : Drawing face: Looking upwards and the chin/jaw

WeetBix
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi all

Just a quick question. The general lack of any information on this subject anywhere suggests I am missing something EXTREMELY obvious.

Ok so I can draw faces in most directions now, but as soon as the head moves up past the halfway mark (ie. looking towards the sky), I get really confused about how to draw the jaw and chin line (and the now exposed neck). How long does the jaw go down, how far does the chin curve back up? Basically as soon as you pass that halfway line when the subject is looking upwards (at pretty much any angle, except profile I guess :rolleyes: ), what 'formulas' do you use to ensure chin and jaw length?

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers :)

Rebeccak
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
WeetBix,

You can draw pretty much anything by blocking out the major angles and simplified axes of the form. Check out the Anthony Ryder links (the sticky at the top of this forum) as he demonstrates this on a portrait - going by this method makes it possible to draw anything, since you're thinking less about the details and more about the shapes. :)

Laudare
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I have to admit, that perspective always gives me trouble too.

This a page is from Andrew Loomis's "Drawing the Heads and Hands" I always found helpful on the tricky business of raised chins.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/Chibichilde/page29.jpg

WeetBix
03-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Will do. Thanks Rebeccak :)

edit - wow, Laudare ninja'd that reply in while I was reading :) . Thanks for your help too Laudare

BACAA
03-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Rebecca and Wheetbix:
I agree with Rebecca you pretty much can draw anything by using Tony Ryder's method of drawing an envelope,block in, and contour. It's the method I use and teach during my weekly classes in the San Francisco Bay Area. I highly recommend Tony Ryder's book Complete Guide To Figure Drawing.
Linda Dulaney-Founder
Bay Area Classical Artist Atelier
www.bacaa.org (http://www.bacaa.org/)

almostkungfu
03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I had this same problem for months, but then last week I found a solution! :)
I'm not sure whether it will work for you or not, but I'll explain it anyway; maybe it can help you..

I was drawing heaads by first making a ball, and then adding the jawline to it. I was able to draw heads from all angles, except for the extreme vertical ones.

However, one day I decided to draw a 3d cross onto the ball before applying the jawbone, and then, when adding the jawbone, I was all suddenly just like.. WOW! I could draw the head from any angle, just like that.

I think, just that cross I added, made me able to realize the head much more as a 3D figure, so that I much more easily could figure the length of the jawbone. I had all the information and knowledge needed to place it, I just didn't comprehend the ball I had drawn as a 3D object, so adding the jawbone always went wrong.

Now, this may not be the trouble you're having, but just in case.. :P

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.