PDA

View Full Version : NET Render minimum requirements??

Grayhem
03-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Ive just got a license for Unlimited NET Render, and was wondering what are the minimum requirement of each PC on the network that I set up to do the rendering.

At the moment, I have 5 set up, but have the potential to set up alot more on our office network, but many of these machines maybe only have the basic Celeron CPU with 256 mb of RAM - just basic office computer for Word, Exel etc

The real issue is that we are trying to render an animation of an architectural type C4D model of a building that is 300mb in size [that's the model itself - the textures are a further 10mb]

When I try to set up more than 1 job [like a 'batch' render], some of the computers of the 5 mentioned already are saying things like "not enough memory" in the NET Render 'Client' window - they maybe start and finish the first file, but don't want to go for another!

My PC is a Pentium4 2.4ghz HP desktop with 1 gig of RAM - it can render fine.
We also have a G5 MAC with 2gigs RAM
& couple of other Pentium4's with 1gig ram
Most of the rest have only 256mb Ram

Please post your thoughts - our deadline is getting nearer ....!

Srek
03-03-2007, 01:39 PM
The system you quote is well below the minimum system requirements Maxon quotes on the websit
Minimum System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.3.9 / Windows 2000, XP - 512 MByte RAM, CPU with 1 GHz
The optimum would be that the clients have the same amount of RAM the workstation has that was used to create and test-render the scene.
What amount of RAM you realy need depends completely on the exact scene you created. Below 512 MB is unusable, 1 GB is most often sufficent, 2 GB handles by far the most scenes and more is only neccesary if you realy know what you are doing. If a scene requires more then 2 GB of RAM then most often it is not set up optimaly.
As for CPUs, Celeron are among the worst choice for rendering due to their small cache size.

Cheers
Björn

dann_stubbs
03-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Ive just got a license for Unlimited NET Render, and was wondering what are the minimum requirement of each PC on the network that I set up to do the rendering.

At the moment, I have 5 set up, but have the potential to set up alot more on our office network, but many of these machines maybe only have the basic Celeron CPU with 256 mb of RAM - just basic office computer for Word, Exel etc

The real issue is that we are trying to render an animation of an architectural type C4D model of a building that is 300mb in size [that's the model itself - the textures are a further 10mb]

When I try to set up more than 1 job [like a 'batch' render], some of the computers of the 5 mentioned already are saying things like "not enough memory" in the NET Render 'Client' window - they maybe start and finish the first file, but don't want to go for another!

My PC is a Pentium4 2.4ghz HP desktop with 1 gig of RAM - it can render fine.
We also have a G5 MAC with 2gigs RAM
& couple of other Pentium4's with 1gig ram
Most of the rest have only 256mb Ram

Please post your thoughts - our deadline is getting nearer ....!

with under 1GB and that scene you will probably have 10x slower renders since the computer will spend most of it's time in VM - it would be faster to just leave them off the render and let the other computers just run it.

dann

Grayhem
03-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the advice - what you're saying is that I can't really expect computers that are of lower spec than 1gig ram and at least pentium4 ( or similar to what the original PC that was used to make the model and render it ) to be used on NET Render - I'll see if I can find the place on the Maxon site that gives minimum requirements for NET render.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Srek
03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Net is part of CINEMA so the CINEMA requirements apply. They can be found on the lower part of the main product page
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/products_e.html

Cheers
Björn

dann_stubbs
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the advice - what you're saying is that I can't really expect computers that are of lower spec than 1gig ram and at least pentium4 ( or similar to what the original PC that was used to make the model and render it ) to be used on NET Render - I'll see if I can find the place on the Maxon site that gives minimum requirements for NET render.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

it is possible it will "run" but i am talking about overall worth of running on something so below spec.

sort of like putting the slowest runner you know on an olympic relay team - at a point it is going to be holding up the faster participants.

if the fast computers render a frame in 10 minutes but the slow ones take 100 minutes - the fast ones are going to eventually overtake them and then you will just be waiting for the slow computers to finish their frames while the fast ones sit idle.

try NET on these 256mb clients with a simple sphere render - if NET Client launches then it probably will be able to render an extremely simple scene in 256mb - but if you are expecting it to render a large scene that yes i'd expect out of memory errors or just excruciating slow performance.

dann

Carl007
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I am in the situation of having some osx machines in my farm,
some are better then others in a mixed environment.
Sometimes i have really fast renders going, where the slower machines can coup,
If it is a render-hog, they are more in the way.
It is a majority of slower machines, I should add.

Will I be able to switch of render-clients in the admin page, in future updates?
Maybe the ability to assign groups of machines to different renders?

Maby Björn can explain.

Edit: Maybe I should be going to the maxon feature request page and submit a feature request? :-)

dann_stubbs
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I am in the situation of having some osx machines in my farm,
some are better then others in a mixed environment.
Sometimes i have really fast renders going, where the slower machines can coup,
If it is a render-hog, they are more in the way.
It is a majority of slower machines, I should add.

Will I be able to switch of render-clients in the admin page, in future updates?
Maybe the ability to assign groups of machines to different renders?

Maby Björn can explain.

maxon does not comment about future releases. bjorn cannot answer these questions.

pooling and client assignments are both suggestions that have been made in the past but i'd suggest going to the maxon feature request page and submitting a feature request.

dann

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.