PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hey, singularity2006

unLevel
03-02-2003, 04:03 AM
*Gasp* I've blasphemed and Frank Lloyd Wright is gonna come back and strangle me in my dreams... >.<

you said this in another thread in this forum about the use of filters, and I just wondered, are you a big fan of his work?

Are you also interested in other prairie style architects, or architecture in general?

Just curious, as I have most books that are published nowadays about his and others work during that movement, and glad to see someone else at least mention him....:wavey:

singularity2006
03-02-2003, 06:07 AM
oh yes, quite a fan indeed. I've never actually looked in depth at any of his work.... I just look @ them for looks... but i understand the very incredibly detailed and non-conforming standard he worked with.... i usually refer to his work in vague terms such as:

"yeah, that house over the waterfall with the bricks and such..."

But yes, he is a genius.... genius indeed!!! And as for architecture, I'm interested in it of course! The geometry and aesthetic nature of design.... on a monumental scale, it's amazing. Though as I said before, I'm not a very knowledgable person about this kind of thing... i just love to observe.

unLevel
03-02-2003, 01:02 PM
cool

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 08:07 PM
I also enjoy Frank Lloyd Wright's work. But some of his designs were not comfortable to live in. I took a trip to Taliesin and was taken back by some of the details in the buildings. Being in Wisconsin where winters get cold, I was shocked that in order to get two windows at the corner of the building to come together "seamlessly" he placed them together but with a slight gap between for expansion. No filler was used like they would today. The draft from this gap was noticeable and it wasn’t winter. I can only imagine. Also his roofs were notorious for leaking. His clients would complain and he would tell them that was the price they would pay for living in one of his masterpieces. I think he was more a sculptor of space and structure than an architect of livable spaces, if that makes sense.

Mike

unLevel
03-02-2003, 09:32 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, a lot of his houses are uncomfortable even for his clients. he designed them according to HIS height, which was 5'5", i think, so his houses were shorter...

As for myself, being a full foot taller than him, I could only imagine the head bumps I'd get in his houses...

singularity2006
03-02-2003, 09:37 PM
yeah, I heard about that... but that one house built on top of that waterfall.... that was just gorgeous... I don't care about draftiness and leaks, I can fix that on my own.... the architectural wonder and concept was just great... imagine... a barbecue in your house "basement?" while being able to get a great view from the waterfall that runs underneath.... :drool:

Btw, the title of this thread says "OT" ... what is OT?

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 09:44 PM
I lived in Chicago for about seven years and in that time, I had a chance to go to a few different Wright houses. While it is true that he played with the ceiling heights, I think it was more theatrics of the spaces. In the Robbie House, you start off down stairs in a room with 6 foot 6 inch or 7 foot high ceiling, I don't recall exactly. Then you walk up stairs to the main room in the building and you have 10 foot high or higher ceilings. You were meant to notice the change and it adds to the drama of the space.

Mike

VestanPance
03-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by singularity2006
Btw, the title of this thread says "OT" ... what is OT?

"(O)ff (T)opic" Has nothing to do with Photoshop.

unLevel
03-02-2003, 11:48 PM
hmm...good point, mikewebb

Personnally, I'm a big fan of ALL sorts of the Prairie style artisans, including lamp makers, and landscape artists during that period..

Although, FLW ruled them all!!!

singularity2006
03-03-2003, 12:51 AM
hell yes... FLW 0w3z. :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.