PDA

View Full Version : The order of a flash site?

thumperg04
03-02-2003, 04:13 AM
I don't know exactly how to word this but...
I am working on my first real site in Flash and I was curious how to do the layout for the timeline for the whole site. The site is going to have animation that will link the different pages/sections.
I just dont know if I put it all on one timeline or what.
I hope this was atleast a little bit clear:shrug:

Ian Jones
03-02-2003, 06:06 AM
I 'spose the first question is how large is your site gonna be? If it is large then you will need preloaders within the various sections of the site so that a user can DOD(Download on Demand) rather than downloading the whole thing just to look at one section.

If you have a small site then you can do it all in one timeline fairly easily. If you need the preloader method then you need to learn about loading movie clips into levels.

thumperg04
03-02-2003, 06:28 AM
The site will be a descent size. It is a site for my fiance's artwork. so it will have links to an art, artist, store, and links section. Each of these sections will have several pages inside them (except for artist and links).
About the preloaders though, i want the animation in between the pages to be smooth (not interupted by preloaders). I am actually in the process of learning preloaders right now.

thumperg04
03-02-2003, 06:33 AM
I just saw this site and the way it transitions to the different pages is exactly what I was thinking...
www.neostream.com

Is the whole intro to that thing just one big preloader?

Michael Chen
03-02-2003, 08:52 PM
The preloader in Neostream was that person getting the thousands of volts through his brain.

If you want to have cool transitions (awesome graphics) like neostream then it would increase your file size, which means the user has to wait longer. (i.e. a couple of megs)

But most flash designers that I know have a main interface file, which loads other sub sections of the website. This means that if the viewer had no intention of looking through your profile section then he doesn't has to download it as well.

thumperg04
03-02-2003, 11:12 PM
I think I have decided to go with preloaders for each section. Ive been thinking of how to tie it in to the animations and I think I got it. Thanks for the help. I'll be back to ask more questions again most likely.
Greg

Rukuwa... My eye is twitching from your avatar:eek:

jadedchron
03-03-2003, 01:05 PM
you need to use multiple scenes, different layer setups and make use out of your library always

Maxx
03-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Don't forget the LoadMovie command - into levels or placeholder movies. And with these, you can use Shared Library objects. If you're going to have the preloaders anyway, it's always seemed easier to me to use separate .swf's - you can modify any one portion at a time without having to load and work with the entire site in one file, which has a tendancy to get a bit ungainly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.