PDA

View Full Version : Dialouge Animation

dondixon
03-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Here is a piece done for the Strutyourreel.com monthly animation contest. Crits and Comments welcome! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgAZcs23Gs

Booyah
03-04-2007, 04:16 AM
I think the animation from the front looks decent, but cutting to the back of the character seems like you're trying to hide something or take a short cut. You should be able to do this dialogue peice without any cuts just good animation and it would flow better instead of being jerky. If you added some more anticipation on the jump and sort of held it in the air the end would be stronger. nice clip just need more focus on the character not the camera work

Bluder
03-04-2007, 08:03 AM
i agree Booyah, the camera cuts was wierd. the animation was nice though.

mttjss
03-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I think to make the camera cuts work (seems like you want to add a bg of people or audience)

I would show the back of the character before the dialogue starts and then cut to the front view for the dialogue.
But like they said, you dont really need camera cuts for this piece.

Keep it up!

Matt -

dondixon
03-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I can honestly say I wasnt trying to hide or take any short cuts in animating this piece, his lipsync goes through the entire piece as well as the animation and the posing. I did the cuts more as a expiremental thing for myself, because most of the clips I animate are always from one camera view. So I just wanted to try something new. The purpose of the back shots was infact to show a crowd reaction and then cut back to him from the front. What I think I will do is being the first shot from behind, then cut to him from the front where the camera will remain until the jump. I can see where the cutting from the back to the front can be confussing and redundant, so hopefully my changes will make it a stronger piece. Thanks everyone for the comments and crits. Expect an update soon!

Don Dixon

revolvermd
03-05-2007, 03:49 AM
animation is great, I'm not gonna comment about the back shots, as 2 other people have. I love the whole idea. I thought it was really funny just building up to the point where he cannonballs. It's like what he said, if you had held him in the air longer before dropping him for the cannon ball, would've made it funnier!

dondixon
03-06-2007, 04:53 AM
THanks again everyone for the great feedback.:) I guess my thing with the camera cuts was that I never really have done a scence where I cut the cams b4 so I was doing some expiratmenting, but i can see how it can seem redundant to go back and forth, like a news cast. LOL no pun intended( anchorman) anyway MY thinking for the behind shot is if I had a whole crowd of characters you would see them from that back of the main character cam view, so Im still sticking to that idea but only showing that shot in the begining and then I keep the cam fixed until the jump where I wanted a slightly different angle on it. ANyway heres what I ended up with, THis is the version Im gonna submit but I can almost gurantee Ill still be messing with it. THanks again so much for all the comments! :)

here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMaFdzLoeo

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 04:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.