PDA

View Full Version : C4D vs. Electric Image render speeds?

danb
03-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I have to make a decision for a client on which would have faster render speeds. I don't have EIAS. So if anyone could help out with this comparison it would be great.

I am going to use GI in either program and super high poly counts.

Per-Anders
03-03-2007, 02:11 AM
For GI and high polycount renders then right now neither is the best or fastest out there (at least if you mean camera versus ar). For GI renderings the toss up is between Final Render and VRay for speed (and quality), for heavy displacement then while all render engines can do this well the best will be any that utilises REYES so that's basically likely to be one of the renderman engines, however if you're just talking pushing polygons then there's no clear winner in my experience though to be honest things kinda reverse and REYES often becomes your last choice (polygonal geometry goes against the whole concept), generally the ideal is to sort your scenes out so that they're not too heavy in the first place with any render engine, but other render engines will allow you to optimize the BSP to match the setup of your scenes, e.g. dense in one small area, or more spread out geometry etc. This is something you do not have access to with AR.

Given that you are basically left with the following choices. C4D (fR later on VRay or production bundle), Maya (Any number of renderman engines via rib exporters and full bridges), XSI (RIB exporter), Max (fR, VRay, Brazil 2 which is allegedly quite fast now and rib exporters).

danb
03-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Does RPC speed up render times? I am thinking C4d would be the way to go, because we have tons of trees and people to put into the animations. EIAS does not have a RPC plugin. The client wants to use Poser characters to populate the scenes in electric image. This seems like its going to be a nightmare, because each poser character is in the tens of thousands of polygons.

Do you know if RPC is compatible with VRay or Final Render?

Per-Anders
03-03-2007, 02:19 AM
RPC should speed things up a lot rather than using full geometry, also potentially something like Samirs volumetric instancing in DPIT may help depending on it's implementation (though that for sure wont work with fR or Vray). I haven't used the RPC plugin so I'm afraid I really can't tell you whether it woudl work with fR or VRay, I don't see why it wouldn't, but maybe someone else who has could chime in here.

danb
03-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Ok thanks. I will have a look on the RPC site and see if i can find some final render answers. I'll email the RPC company also. I'll see if i can get in touch with Renato also. :)

sacslacker
03-03-2007, 03:21 AM
The very nice thing about Final Render is if you get another package, you just have to buy the translator and you can use FR there. I am primarily a Maya user but I've been using C4D lately and was able to pick up FR for another $100. Yay.

mogh
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I had chance to work on a big visualication in my last internship, we used RPC in a museum and weren't happy with its integration and stability, regarding file transfer and multiuser working, NET render was a problem also.

So I recomend looking for 2.5 people from other companies, we have been told from the renderfarm that there is a nother Plugin for cinema which works better.

But sadly i cant recal which company it was.

cya Mogh

TBoxman
03-06-2007, 05:15 AM
I've been using EI for several years for architectural work. It's render engine, Camera, is very fast. However I find that my scene setup is much slower, more complicated by work-arounds, and model import is a huge hassle.

My C4D scene setup times are generally faster, but I've just switched so will only continue to speed up. Once it comes time to render though I start missing Camera.

I always say I'd take slower render times for faster scene setup time.

But I haven't tried the same project in each application to compare and in C4D I've been doing GI in all my projects. I also use interPoser Pro (thank you Robert) which not only makes importing Poser content much easier, but they look much better than they did in Electric Image.

Here are some links for 3D people models.
http://www.doschdesign.com/products/3d/ - scroll down to the people sections. I do NOT recommend the low-poly people disk.
http://www.axyz-design.com/home.htm

Good luck,
Terry

danb
03-06-2007, 05:23 AM
Unfortunately i couldn't get the client to change to c4d. They were to deap into production to learn another program. Too bad too, because it is a pain in the rear, importing poser scenes into Daz|3d and then exporting to .fbx, then importing .fbx into Electric Image.

Most of the animation from the poser scene does not show up correctly in Daz, but when exporting .fbx to electric image, everything works fine. Weird stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 05:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.