PDA

View Full Version : Materials changes between events

plejboy
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey people.
Is there a way to set a permanent MatID per particle throughout a whole Pflow?
It seems as though it keeps changing from event to event?
I've seen this sort of thing with both Materials, Instances and even Scale if you put them globally. For the scale and Instance there is and easy solve. Just put them in the same event as the birth but with the material its a bit trickier since the MatID doesnt follow thru from one event to the next.
Its been buggin me for some time and I thought it would be time to ask..
Thanks in advance!

OlegB
03-03-2007, 02:07 AM
This is a current flaw of the Material operators - they are not consistent in association of mtl indices from event to event if the order of particles through the event gates is changing.

The problem can be solved by using Box#3 since it can read/write material indices for particles, and it would be possible to keep the initially set material index in a custom data channel.

Scripting has a flaw with material indices as well because there is no "get" function; there is only "set".

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Glacierise
03-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Or just use a global material operator :)

plejboy
03-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys.

Oleg - I know you are probably busy with box#2. Well, I hope you are atleast. :) But do you think there will be a fix for the material operator flaw ?

Glacierise - Its sadly not that simple. If there are different MatIDs they change from event to event anyways.

OlegB
03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
But do you think there will be a fix for the material operator flaw ?

The next update for Box#3 will have the Material operators fixed in regards to the material index relevance in-between events. If this is an urgent matter, and you don't want to wait for the official release of the update, please send request to support at Orbaz. Keep in mind that the fix will be for 3ds Max 9 only.

BTW, this update also optimizes Keep Apart operator. For large amount of particles (10,000+) the operator will be faster by an order of magnitude.

Another BTW - the fixes for the standard PFlow operators are only in the Box#3 bought directly from Orbaz Technologies.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.