PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Lightwave 64, Tell us your experiences

RobertoOrtiz
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Hey guys,

I am in the process of updating my machine to a new 64 bit Windows XP system.
And one of the programs I plan to run on it is Lightwave 9.0 64 bit. (Intel system)
Also I currently use only Worley plug-ins in my productions.

So I was wondering about those who already have done this, and I would love to hear the experiences you are having.

Looking forward to your comments.

-R

Para
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I've been using 64bit 8.5 for a while along with the normal 32bit version and here's some of my observations:

No real plugin support besides LScripts. This forced me to go back to 32bit Modeler a lot.
64bit felt somewhat more stable than the 32bit counterpart.
64bit really knows how to utilize memory while 32bit just reserves it

bobakabob
03-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree LW 64 bit feels much more solid (running it with 4 GB RAM). So far no problems with the exchange of large amounts of data between Modeler and Layout via the Hub! Apart from the plugin issue it feels liberating. Complex scenes comprising displacements and transparency render efficiently which have stalled LW 32bit.

abuminalis
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
So far we just need fprime and g2 x64 support, and i think we can have a very good change from 32 bits.

tburbage3
03-03-2007, 06:38 PM
When you guys talk about lack of plugin support for LW64, are you saying the plugins that ship with LW were not ported to 64 bit? I'm not surprised that all 3rd party tools have not been ported -- that of course being up to the specific vendor to deal with.

Could someone clarify what the plugin support state is for LW9-64 specifically (in your experience)? Third party plugins aside, I'd like to know what constraints someone using LW9-64 w/ WinXP-64 might need to be aware of.

T4D
03-04-2007, 07:04 AM
the last time i loaded LW 9 64 bit there were afew Standard LW plugin that were not there ( minor ones But just noticed smaller list, Can't remember Sorry )

Add to that the third party plugins

Win 64 bit LW is supported alot less then the LW Mac guys
( that say's alot we hear them Ranting al the time :hmm: )

worley has release 32 plugins that work in win 64
but there not full 64 yet so.. ( whatever that means )

Personal I run another app in win 64 and it rocks,.
But if i'm doing LW work I uses win 32 it has all the option no missing bits.

Ed Bittner
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM
It greatly depends on the shot itself. What I sometimes do is maximize the shot as much as possible in 32bit, and if it's really poly heavy, move it over to the 64 bit LW9, and snap.
When LW9 64bit first came out, I had a ten second (300 frame) "crane" shot with the camera moving from the tops of buildings toward the street level. Now in LW8.5c, it took 17m27sec per frame to render. The scene did not require any plug-ins. Tossed this scene into LW9 64bit, (same scene), 2m 23sec per frame. LW64 really chews up the poly's, and as previously stated, is great with memory consumption.
E.

ChrisNix
03-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I had to switch back to the 32bit- version when i realized that some features of the 64bit-version like parenter, follower and relativity just DONT WORK. they're not buggy or something, they don't work on the whole... :banghead:
no problem with that in the 32-version.

ringzero
03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
The 64 bit version is ENTIRELY useless.

Do you use plugins at all?

If the answer is yes stick to 32 bit.

Quite annoying as I bought a 64 bit pc for LW - need to wait for 9.2 and hope that the developers arent long behind.

I just didnt realise the impact not having plugins would have - like none of my scenes will render without whiping anything nice out first.

Limbus
03-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I just finished working on a production where we used LW64 9.0 almost exclusivly. It runs very stable and is a tad faster than the 64 bit version. There are still alot of plugins missing but there are more and more plugins beeing ported. I also made the experience that asking developers for a 64 Bit port is usefull.

Some of the 64 Bit plugins we used where:
- Dponts renderman shader and MDD plug
- StarPro
- some DStorm plugins

For modelling we used the 64 and 32 bit version. The good thing about Windows 64 is that you can also run 32 bit programs.

There are some LW functions that did not work in the 64 Bit version like sliders, clone hierarchy and FX_Linker. Sometimes its just the interface thats broken so if you configure the plugin in the 32 Bit version it will also work in 64 Bit (e.g. sliders). For the otehr stuff I just fired up LW 32. Annoying but doable.

Florian

Riff--
03-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Hello All,

Just want to note that I use the 64bit versions of LWCAD 2.1 and IFW2 Nodal on LW9.2 64 on XP64. For my purposes, rendering on all 64 bit software has strong advantages.

Many times I find myself opening at the same time both LW9.0 32 Modeler and LW9.2 64 Layout. I consider that to be a nasty habit - want to stay completely in a 64bit native environment.

Riff Masteroff

pixym
03-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Interesting thread,
I also consider switching to lw 64 sxpecially for rendering purpose...
I have bought vista 64, but not installed it yet...

abuminalis
03-12-2007, 03:37 AM
Rendering with radiosity, is really fast in x64, i just wished viper was more advanced, and i would certanly not wait for fprime x64.

zapper1998
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I really like the stability of 64 bit, but u are so limited to what you can do, 3rd party plugins that is...

I hope the 3rd party plugin people really think about porting there plugs to 64 bit, because the 32BIT in on the way out fast..

"There already testing the 128bit chips, so they need to do something....."

Ya Think....

Michael

lightwolf
03-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow, old thread back from the dead ;)

Just to chime in as a third party: exrTrader was released as a 64bit version right from the start (Sept. 2006), infiniMap Pro was released as a 64bit version in December 2005...

Then again, we aim to support all LW platforms (which can be tricky if you depend on third party libraries).

Cheers,
Mike

lots
03-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Alot of people don't really understand 64bit vs 32bit. In the case of LW, and pretty much everything, there's not really a big speed up. Maybe you gain some here and there, but you also lose some in other places. The differences aren't huge.

The main thing is, do the plugins you use (outside the LW tools that are there to begin with) not 64bit? Do you absolutely need them? If the answer is yes, stick to 32bit. If no, go for it :) I've been using 64 bit LW since it was released. There are things that dont work as expected, and some bugs that don't exist on the 32bit version, but there are a growing number of 64bit plugins. (Note: If you run 64bit LW, you MUST run 64bit plugins. 32bit plugins wont work)

However if you do need to fall back, you can just run 32bit LW in 64bit Windows. While i've heard there are still a few issues here, pretty much everything works.

pixym
03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Ok, but the main thing with 64bits is you can manage and render very huge amount of polys... that you cannot do with win 32.

lots
03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes exactly :) 64bit is good at huge data. A scene that doesn't render (probably crashes) in 32bit will work in 64bit. Thats the advantage that I see...

I suppose its a speed up in the sense that 32bit didn't render at all.. and 64bit does? :)

bobakabob
03-15-2007, 01:07 AM
64 bit LW feels much more solid and dependable working with high poly counts although due to the plugin situation it lacks the subtlety of the 32 bit version . But it rarely crashes and wonder of wonders the Hub actually works.:scream:

lwanmtr
03-15-2007, 02:18 AM
So far LW64 has been good and stable for me. The only issues have been already said..mainly plugins. Some of them just dont work on lw64. I think there are some that may even crash it (I have one scene that bombs lw whenever I try to load it, and havent had time to track the problem). The lack of a quicktime plugin is kind of annoying, but not debilitating.

I understand that all of Worley's plugins are being up'd to 64bit so hopefully soon we will see Fprime and G2 releases. I emailed them right after I found that LW64 didnt see my Fprime..heh.

Modeler runs great, though there are just a few 3rd party plugs that I use on a regular basis. I liked that it loaded in 1/2 the time that modeler32 loads.

I dunno if it's possible, but maybe NewTek could have an option to import the 32bit plugins and use them...especially in modeler.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2007, 02:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.