PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem deciding between normal mapping and displacment mapping.

SyphinXero
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Greeting everyone. I am in quite a perdicament right now. Right now i am rendering a closeup on a old man human head using the fast skin shader a color,bump, and spec map. I am just wondering what is better to use... a normal map or a displacment map. My roomate just rendered out a a rock on maya using a normal versus displacment and to my shock the displacment kept much much more detail and also had spec hits self casting shadows ect.. the normal looked much worse off.

I have been having great troubles in mudbox trying to get my displacment map to be created so i resorted to unwrapping the model after i sculpt it and then creating a normal in xsi with ultimapper.

Basically the question is how much better is the displacment map then the normal map in a closeup mixed with the fast skin shader?

adrencg
03-05-2007, 03:38 PM
From what I've found, you can't use the Fast skin Shader with a normal map, because the bump connect in the material node does not work with the fast skin shader connected.

CiaranM
03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
From what I've found, you can't use the Fast skin Shader with a normal map, because the bump connect in the material node does not work with the fast skin shader connected.

Use the split SSS shaders. I believe you can find them on xsibase.com

kimaldis
03-06-2007, 10:21 AM
it depends on exactly what it is you're going to be doing. As always, use whatever method best suits your needs.

Displacement is better if your surface offset is likely to be large but you'll need deep subdivision if the detail is fine. It can also be unreliable and slow. Sometimes, but not necessarily always.

Normal, or bump mapping, is going to be easier to work with but you won't get the rough silhouettes or occlusion that you get with displacement -although there is an occluding bump map shader somewhere.

Bump mapping in xsi and normal mapping in general foxes many people; you need to be aware that you're working with vectors rather than RGB offset - as in displacement - and work accordingly.

A good working method is to use displacment for the coarse detail with an overlay of bump or normal map for the fine detail.

NeptuneImaging
03-08-2007, 03:27 AM
I sometimes use Parallax Mapping and it works like a charm....sometimes it can be overkill but it gets the job done

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2007, 03:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.