PDA

View Full Version : working in large scale ..any tips?

ganeone
03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
im going to print at the size of 1x1 meters ..im going to use these prints as a base to my artwork ..im going to paint on top of them ..making it easier to reproduce my artwork ..now my question is? ...what size should i work in to get the best results on the prints ..i really dont want it to be noticed that the base is a print ..so i want the prints to be as high in resolutoon as possible? ...should i work in 1x1 300 dpi in photoshop? ..or can i get good results working in 50cm x 50cm at 300 dpi (not as sluggish) ..i bought a core du e6600 and 2 gigs of ddr2 800 ram 2 days ago ..working at 1x1 wctually works ok ..its a little sluggish when it comes to using the airbrush tool ...anyone have any tips on optomizing cs2? ..should i buy even more ram?

thanks

David

mableclaid
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
When I'm working to make a print I always use 300dpi and at the size I'm making it for. I do have 3.25 gb of that same ram though. However, in the past I have done things on a smaller scale and sized it up a little like you are saying to do with the 50cm x 50cm one and it looked fine on what I was doing. I would still prefer to do it in on the 1x1 though. Hope I helped. Good luck.

artdude12
03-03-2007, 08:26 AM
This might help:
http://www.alienskin.com/blowup/index.html

nSomnius
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Any process you perform on the image that can be actionable can be done on a smaller version while writing the action and repeated later on the larger file while you go make dinner. Airbrushing is obviously not one of those actionable things but the technique could be useful elsewhere. More RAM will help a great deal but only if you're using Windows 64 bit to allow addressing the larger RAM volume. I've set up a dual boot machine for just that purpose and it provides a significant advantage for this type of thing. I'm using 500 Mb files and pushing them around with ease. Slicing the image in halves or quarters may be another possibility depending on the nature of the work to be performed. One more tidbit is to make sure you're working on a copy of the image and purge the history before each step to ensure you have the most RAM available at any given stage, it'll be gobbled up quick if you don't.

simmsimaging
03-08-2007, 06:51 AM
It really depends on how the prints are being made, and how much you intend to paint over them. If you have the time and RAM to work at 300 dpi then you certainly can, but I'd suggest workign at 1/2 size, maybe slightly less.

A factor that not a lot of people seem to consider is that larger file sizes does not just mean working on bigger and slower files in the same way you would a smaller one. Because monitors are only 72-100 dpi the larger your file the more working on your image is going to be like working on a mural, which changes a lot of things in a typical workflow. In my experience big files are much slower to work on and more difficult in many ways, and not just because of memory issues.

If you really want/need 300 dpi I'd still probably work at 1/2 size and res later, especially if you are painting over it. Alien skin Blow up works very well, as does PhotoZoom Pro - the latter is a bit better IMO and offers more control. Neither are free, but both are well worth the money.

Collember
03-09-2007, 03:25 AM
im not sure if anyone has mentioned yet that, even if u half the size of the print in ur software, you need to increase the dpi as a multiple.

for example, 1000mm x 1000mm @ 300DPI would be 500mm x 500mm @ 600DPI. Once you print it out at 1 x 1 you wont have 300dpi anymore, you will have 150dpi (if u had ur print set to .5x.5 @ 300dpi).

You will still have the same file size regardless, the only way you can do this, is make the file alot smaller than you want it to be, but keep in mind the quality wont be the same.

Understand?

jerr3d
03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
i think it was Photoshop 3 that let you open just a section of an image and just work on that.

i guess Adobe dropped that feature with Photoshop 4.

By using the selection, and alpha channels you can work on one section of a really big file.

here is how i do this in Photoshop CS:

1 marquee the area you want to work on from the original file.

2 save the selection then save the file itself and close file

3 create a new document

4 paste the selection

5 save the new file

6 work on the new file

when you are through with that section

7 select all and copy

8 close document

9 open original document

10 load alpha channel you made in #2

11 paste

12 save document and repeat

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.