PDA

View Full Version : reflections

mooop
03-02-2007, 09:01 AM
i'm new to rendering and shading in xsi - and i have a question about reflections... i have an eye setup with 2 spheres - 1 for the iris and pupil which is opaque and another overlaying for reflections and specular which is transparent. I have an hdri map setup in the environment for reflections which has the display gamma low so only the light parts show up...

but... when i render in the viewport the transparent/reflective shere renders black with some light parts of the hdri map. How can i get my reflections only to pick up the light/white parts of the hdri map or scene and leave the darker parts so i can see the pupil underneath.?

Also if any1 has any tips for getting that nice milky look of the white of the eye that blends in with a face please share - im playing around with ambient occlusion and sss, but no sucess yet

ps - i have the reflection/refraction depth set very high.

thank you

--m--

GeneralLethal
03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
For the shader of your reflective sphere, use a mixer, with a completely transparent constant shader plugged in your base color, and a reflection node (with input at 0 and reflection at 1) in your color 1. Then set your mixer to screen, add or lighten mode, and play with the weight.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.