PDA

View Full Version : about vray

sabwab
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
vray is great , no doubt about it.
but i read on cgtalk that people in max sometimes prefer scanline over vray . anybody got comments on this?

seems that walktroughs still require speed renderings. and gi is not near as fast as scanline.

STRAT
03-02-2007, 09:25 AM
scan line is obviously faster, but it's your choice, do you want to fake it or gi it?

sabwab
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
you're right

btw what happened to your website?

STRAT
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
i'm assuming you're not to familier in the differences between real and fake gi and all the pros/cons the 2 provide, else you wouldn't be posting.

the biggest difference being speed. yes, real gi is infinately slower than faking it (in most cases) but thats part and parcel of using it. a good experienced artist can fake gi in the scanliner, but given the choice he'd much prefer to use real gi. If you have sufficient computing power then it's your choice. a choice we all make on a daily bases.

my website? i only made it last year as a self indulgence excersice really, and over this past year it hasn't bought me in a penny of my freelancing fees. so i decided to put it on hold for a bit. i also had a few 'ethical' issues with some of my imagery, (personal issues), which also made my mind up.

lllab
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
hmm, scanline can also do radiocity in max as far as i know.
but it is also very few people using it. mostly because it is a bit easier or they are used to it over years. quality is not superb but it works. a good artist can compenstate that to a certain degree.

hey there are also people using win3.11 and swear on it;-)

by the way please use the vray thread that's already here, the moderators dont like double threads...
cheers
Stefan

sabwab
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
ok the moderator can do anything with this thread.

i understand that vray is still a top solution for photorealistic animations.
"but on the other hand"....

lllab
03-02-2007, 11:23 AM
well, no problem:-)
just continue in the main thread, thats what i meant.

as with all things, nothing will ever fit for all people. and that is good so.
so there might be some that prefer max scanline. and of course much of us will still love good old AR. i also like to use it for non GI stuff sometimes....

overall each engine has it special things. that is why i have almost all good renderengines that are available for c4d or max. vray is one of my favorites:-)

cheers
Stefan

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2007, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.