PDA

View Full Version : Poor picture quality with 21+ inch monitors?

Hookflash
03-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Has anyone else here got a 21+ inch monitor? I just got a Viewsonic p225f (it's received very good reviews), and I'm not at all happy with the picture quality. Text is very fuzzy & blurry, especially at the recommended 1600x1200 resolution. This is especially noticable next to my very crisp 17 inch Viewsonic g73f. I suppose the color is quite good, but there are purity issues, and I don't have the eye to make the necessary adjustments. Also, this monitor is *very* sensitive! I had my Shuttle SN41G2 on the desk beside my monitor, and the screen started displaying these very annoying (albeit faint) vertical lines. The lines remained for 24+ hours, until I did several degausses (and moved the computer), and they are still slightly visible. Also, the edges of the screen are noticably blurry. Are these common problems with larger monitors, or do I just have a dud (I could always RMA it, I guess)? Any tips on how to improve the picture quality on this thing? Thanks

dmeyer
03-01-2003, 09:05 PM
I've got a 22" NEC FP1375x, it's picture is fantastic. It sounds like you've got some shielding problems.

Hookflash
03-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Is shielding a common problem? What resolution do you run your monitor at? I hope I can resolve this issue myself, rather than paying a fortune to ship this 36kg monster all the way accross my country...

Valkyrien
03-01-2003, 09:46 PM
ack, viewsonic...that might be your problem right there....:p

Cararan
03-01-2003, 10:07 PM
I have a 21" Compaq P110 Trintron, And its pretty good. I like it.

dmeyer
03-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Hookflash
Is shielding a common problem? What resolution do you run your monitor at? I hope I can resolve this issue myself, rather than paying a fortune to ship this 36kg monster all the way accross my country...

I run at 1600x1200. The only shielding problems i have ever had have been cured by making sure i was using high quality cables. If you are running any swtich boxes, those can be troublesome too.

Nem
03-01-2003, 10:46 PM
ppl with 22inch monitors, do you actually sit at the recommended distance away? 44inches away from the screen? or do you sit closer?

Hookflash
03-01-2003, 10:46 PM
I have discovered a new problem. When there is a sharp color transition (ie, a black background in IE to the white scroll-bar at the right side of the screen) near the edge of the screen, there is alot of fading/ghosting. If I move the offending area to the center of the screen, the fading goes away. Aargh! Any ideas? As for the shielding; the vertical lines have gone away for no apparent reason (aside from the fact that I moved my computer further away and rebooted several times). Weird...

Hookflash
03-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Nem
ppl with 22inch monitors, do you actually sit at the recommended distance away? 44inches away from the screen? or do you sit closer?

I sit closer (I didn't know there was a recommended distance). 44 inches! My tiny computer desk won't even allow that (the keyboard tray only comes out so far).

Nem
03-01-2003, 10:48 PM
its the same for tvs, you measure diagonally across the screen, double the size and thats how far you have to sit, if you do that you wont ruin ur eyes

Hookflash
03-01-2003, 11:19 PM
dmeyer: What font-size do you use?

Hookflash
03-01-2003, 11:50 PM
http://www.computerplug.com/cable_monitor_bnc_tech.htm

Would this cable provide any significant advantages over the regular VGA one that came with my monitor?

alphatron
03-02-2003, 12:33 AM
That cable won't help you hookflash. RMA the monitor or maybe get a refund for it and get a trinitron.

elvis
03-02-2003, 12:30 PM
i've got a viewsonic 21" P810 running at 1600x1200@75Hz with no fuzziness problems.

high res high refresh can cause a lot of troubles on old hardware. at work our old dell precisions all run matrox g450's on 21" sony trinitron monitors. some of them are hitting 3 years old now, and about 50% of those are unreadable at 1600x1200, yet the other 50% are fine.

what video card are you using for the 21" monitor system? if it's geforce2 era or older, i'd consider getting a better quality card like a radeon and the like, and checking out the quality after that. some cards back in teh day had very poor 3rd party output filters that would blur badly at high resolutions and refresh rates.

at any rate, ensure it is not your monitor that is at fault before you replace it. like any hardware problem, elliminate all other possibilities before jumping to conclusions.

imashination
03-02-2003, 12:57 PM
The cables can make a huge difference.

At home I have a 21" Trinitron, and at work I have a 19" Trinitron. When I first got my 21" screen at home, I simply used my old cable from a 15" screen, it looked awful, vertical lines, awful. I almost sent it back too. Then I went down Maplins electrical store, bought a high quality cable (15) and that magically fixed everything. Avoid any cable with fancy curvey mouldings and fad see-through plastic. Chances are it's a pile of...

My screen at work is a great screen, however it has an utterly crap cable moulded in, so I cant change it :-/ That doesn't like much above 1280.

GregHess
03-02-2003, 04:19 PM
I concur with elvis. What video card are you using? It could not be the monitor at all. When I upgraded to a Sony GDM-500PS back in the day, I got horrible blurriness at 1600x1200...it wasn't due to the monitor at all, but the geforce 2 card. I slapped in an old matrox, and it was as sharp as can be.

The easiest way to check for this, is to drop the resolution down to 1024x768. If the text suddenly gets sharper, then its most likely the video card's RFI filters screwing everything up. If the text remains blurry, then something's wrong with the monitor.

You also mentioned moving your shuttle XPC away from the monitor. Anything with magnets in it can mess up with the monitors display. Make sure speakers, televisions, and especially subwoofers are a good distance away from the display. Most computer speakers are shielded, but many aren't.

Alot of individuals also like to place oscilating or box fans near their setup. These type of fans have HUGE magnets and can #$&* the heck outta a crt monitor. Make sure if your using one, they're at distance.

Hookflash
03-02-2003, 07:54 PM
I am using the integrated IGP in my nForce2-based SN41G2. I will be getting an All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro within the next couple of weeks. I tried changing the res to 1024x768, and everything seems fairly sharp, except at the top & bottom of the screen. It still doesn't seem quite as crisp as my 17-inch g73f, though.

I am also worried about the faint white strip that appears at the right edge of the screen when very high-contrast areas are located there. For example, when I view http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/lxg/ fully maximized, the high contrast between the black background & white scroll-bar causes a faint greyish vertical strip (about 1.5 cm wide) to appear in this area. I noticed this problem (to a much lesser degree) on my g73f as well, so maybe it's just a con of CRTs? I sort of wish I had gone with an LCD...

raz-0
03-02-2003, 11:29 PM
another important thing to keep away from the monitor are desk lamps with a trnsformer in them. Basically anything flourescent, and many if not all halogen desk lamps have them. I spent about 2 weeks saving up cash to replace a monitor before I discovered this. It can actually make the picture jitter as well as blur and distort.

Tony Richardson
05-07-2003, 05:07 AM
I just picked up a used Compaq P1100 21" for $300.00 and the screen is beautiful. I'm running an old 32 meg S3 Savage4 card at 1280 X 1024 X 75 htz and it is great. I'm upgrading to a Nvidia Ti 4600 in a couple of days and it should improve the picture even more!

Man, going from 17" to 21" is amazing!!!!!!!!!

The guy has got 3 more of theses babies and I'm going back to get another one tomorrow!

I'll be dualing it in a few days when my card gets here!

jmw
05-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Yeah i just got a Lacie blue 21" for 150 through ebay and its perfect, running on a geforce3 ti200 128m @ 1600 x 1200.

I agree going from a 17 to a 21 monitor is a real change for the better! just wish i could fit two of these on my desk!!

illicit
05-07-2003, 05:48 PM
I got a heck of a deal on a 21" Hitachi .20dpi 1600x1200 and it is beautiful! I'm running an old nvidia TNT2 Ultra and I have no problem at all. I installed a newer, supposedly better Rage 128 Ultra and had horrible OpenGL problems. I would select 50 polys and it would take 10 seconds to highlight them in all the viewports.

I recently read an article in Photoshop User mag comparing CRT's to LCD's. Because the LCD uses round pixels, the text will always be a little crisper, but this degrades picture quality in a detailed image.

I too have read bad things about Viewsonic. They used to be on top, but not anymore...

anyway, my 0.02us

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.