PDA

View Full Version : PainterX bugs (?)

ZeroPhobia
03-02-2007, 02:35 AM
Lets gather some bugs or all the issues that we describe as bugs in this place. . :)
because we love painter and we want it healthy.

Variants, paranormal phenomena + 1 **bonus bug

The Phantom Variant = Whenever i save a new variant it never appears as an xml file, it does not exist in the brush folder and i can't remove it (from the drop down list).

The Haunted Variant = If i untick a brush variant which i don't want to use any longer (from the ''customize workspace'' palette), nothing changes. The name is still in the brush drop down list as a ''ghost'', that means that i can see it as a name but i can't select it.

**Renaming = Failure again, by renaming the variant. It appears to be ok within the palette but quess what.........1....2.....3......YEAH! :applause: You found it!! - - - - - in the drop down list blah blah......etc etc

that's all for the moment.

The Variant is out there.....
Agent Folder

btw – Agent works with WinXP pro sp2

Anyone else with the above issues? :sad:

Jinbrown
03-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Lets gather some bugs or all the issues that we describe as bugs in this place. . :)
because we love painter and we want it healthy.

Variants, paranormal phenomena + 1 **bonus bug

The Phantom Variant = Whenever i save a new variant it never appears as an xml file, it does not exist in the brush folder and i can't remove it (from the drop down list).

Look in your Painter X User folder, in the appropriate Workspace > Brushes > > folder.

Can't remove it from what "drop down list", the Brush Selector's Brush Variant list or the list of brush variants in the appropriate Workspace, when you use Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace?

If the latter, you're right. We can't delete anything from the Workspace via the Customize Workspace dialog box. We can, in the file manager, delete the brush variant from the appropriate folder in the appropriate Workspace folder. It will still appear in the list in the Customize Workspace dialog box, so your best option is:

In the Customize Workspace dialog box, close the unwanted/deleted brush variant's Eye icon, or if you don't want to use a brush category, close the brush catetory's Eye icon.

Actually deleting a brush variant or brush category so it doesn't appear in the Customize Workspace dialog box, seems virtually impossible (to me, so far), so again I think that's the best option for now.

I tried some other things and they were so convoluted I'd have to do them a few times to even be able to explain. It's not worth the time anyway. It would be easier to delete the offending Workspace (in the Customize Workspace dialog box and in the Painter X User folder), then start all over again with a new Workspace).

This HAS TO get easier. Now it's just too easy to get things messed up and way too hard to unscramble the mess.

[b]The Haunted Variant = If i untick a brush variant which i don't want to use any longer (from the ''customize workspace'' palette), nothing changes. The name is still in the brush drop down list as a ''ghost'', that means that i can see it as a name but i can't select it.

If you mean close the Eye icon, that's right. It's still in the Customize Workspace dialog box list but it's not listed in the Brush Selector's brush variant list.

[b]**Renaming = Failure again, by renaming the variant. It appears to be ok within the palette but quess what.........1....2.....3......YEAH! :applause: You found it!! - - - - - in the drop down list blah blah......etc etc

We can't rename a brush variant within Painter, though we can save it as a new custom brush variant with a different name. Then you'd have both the original brush variant and the new custom brush variant listed.

Considering what I've said above, even if we closed Painter X, renamed the brush variant, then launched Painter X, my guess is the old brush variant name would still be displayed in the Customize Workspace dialog box. Not sure of that, but I'm too tired of fiddling with all this, and don't have the time anyway, to test it.

that's all for the moment.

The Variant is out there.....
Agent Folder

btw Agent works with WinXP pro sp2

Anyone else with the above issues? :sad:

That's all for the moment here, too. ;)

ZeroPhobia
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Jinny thank you so much for your time!! :)

I'll try to be more specific by showing you the following pics.

The Haunted Variant

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2429/thehauntedvariantau7.jpg

The Phantom Variant

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8854/thephantomvariantiy5.jpg

Jinbrown
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
pankaps,

Your first screen print...

Here's how it looks for me:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tips_and_tuts/close_eye_remv_frm_varlist.gif

Your second screen print...

I assume this is the Brush Selector's brush variant list.

Your third screen print...

Sorry, m'dear, but I can only guess this is the Painter X application/program folder by the shapes formed by the folders and length and shapes formed by the path at the top of the screen. Your screen print is too small to read!

If my guess is correct, as I said earlier, you need to look in the Painter X User folder.

ZeroPhobia
03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
pankaps,

Your first screen print...

Here's how it looks for me:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tips_and_tuts/close_eye_remv_frm_varlist.gif

Your second screen print...

I assume this is the Brush Selector's brush variant list.

Yes it is the Brush Selector's brush variant list.
As i can see in you screen print it's obvious that you have no problem. The point is that I do :sad: and I'm unable to resolve it.

If my guess is correct, as I said earlier, you need to look in the Painter X User folder

Your guess is indeed correct. Painter X User folder does not exist – my search returned no results. Pretty weird. :curious: In painter8 (my previews version), custom variants ware stored within painters default brush folder, I assume the location have changed.

Jinbrown
03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Yep, Painter IX and Painter X provide multi-user support.

That means the Painter IX or Painter X application/program folder is read only.

All custom preferences, custom settings, and custom brushes are automatically written to the Painter IX or Painter X User folder. (That includes Workspace folders for Painter X.)

Locations where you'll find custom brush variants in Painter IX:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter IX > Brushes > > [brush category name]

[b]Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter IX > Brushes > > [brush category name]

Locations where you'll find custom brush variants in [b]Painter X:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes > > [brush category name]

[b]Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name] > Brushes > > [brush category name]

On the chance your User folder is hidden, here's how to make the folders and files visible in Windows Explorer:

Navigate to [b]C:\Documents and Settings and highlight that folder.
In the Tools menu, choose Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
In the panel under Advanced settings:, scroll down below Hidden files and folders and check the Show hidden files and folders radio button.
Click the OK button to close the Folder Options dialog box.

Munk
03-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Jin's right about the location of the brushes in X. She's also correct about renaming a variant, the old and renamed versions will remain in both, the workspace and brush selector.
KISS Principle:
1. New variant or renamed variant = User's Painter Brushes (category) folder. Delete to remove.
2. If any variant or Brush Category is installed in the X root Painter Brushes installation folder it must be deleted from both locations to be removed.

Munk

Jinbrown
03-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Heads Up!

I've edited my post above to include locations of brush categories and brush variants in both Painter IX and Painter X.

Musta been tired last nite as I wrote only the path for Painter IX, though I mentioned Workspaces too.

:rolleyes:

kraal
03-04-2007, 06:37 PM
you may want to re look at that first screen shot to show the problem ... the 'eye' on the brush you closed is NOT the same brush you say did not disappear

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2007, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.